Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: My new OEM-size tires: Vredestein Quatrac 5

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I live across the pond of Lake Ontario where the winter has been pretty mild so far too. I'm on my second set of tires since buying my Mirage back in 14, I went with Bridgestone Potenza 14" 's for my new set, and they don't spin nearly as much on the get-go as the Dunlops did... and I feel they are pretty good in all conditions and haven't shown much wear in the thread yet after like 30,000 kms on them (Dunlops were bald @ 70k). They feel higher quality (they say 'made in Japan' on them almost matches my Mirage).
    It's good to hear that you are liking your Bridgestone tires. I've read some mixed reviews on those, but they have been around for a very long time. I appreciate others sharing their experience with tires. Our factory size choices are very limited in the U.S.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As I was reading Vredestein tire reviews, I came across one that pertains to our "beloved" Mirage. This person has written reviews on this tire twice, & I am going to share them below.

By Kev McKenzie
    From Cumberland, MD
    Verified Reviewer
    I replaced my OEM Yokohama Avid S34F tires with the Vredestein Quatrac 5 and could not be happier. The Yokohamas were very noisy and had a rough ride and took bumps hard. I had assumed this was normal but when I put the Vredesteins on my Mirage G4 is like a different car. The road noise has been drastically reduced and the ride is much smoother with a lot less thump and slap over bumps. It also made my steering feel lighter and handling a tad more precise. These were a great value at $434.00 mounted, balanced and disposal of my old tires. My G4 is the top trim SE model and has P175/55/R15 size tires. The tread on the Vredestein looks amazing and I am anxious to try it in the snow and everything I have read says it will go great. But if you are looking to put tires on your Mitsubishi Mirage or Mirage G4 (14 or 15 inch) these are the best choice no question as there are not many tires to pick from for the Mirage line. Even had I had many more choices I would still have chose these as I have been so impressed! Another benefit of this tire is its excellent low rolling resistance which will aid in the Mirages excellent fuel economey. So if you looking for tires take a look at the Quatrac 5 and research will show what a great tire it is.

Submitted 1 month ago
    By Kevin M.
    From Cumberland, MD, 21502
    Verified Reviewer
    I wanted to do an update on my previous review. We recently had a snow storm with 9 inches of snow, sleet and freezing rain and the roads got pretty bad. I also have an uphill alley to get to my driveway with a sharp 90 degree turn at the bottom which stops you from getting speed up. These tires tackled it no problem and this was unplowed and about 7-8 inches deep at that point. I wanted a good safe tire and wow this is the one! My ABS and traction control never came on my entire drive home and my car felt so secure stopping, turning and pulling out in the snow, sleet and freezing rain. My traction control light came in twice going up my alley that way unplowed do to it being a hill with no speed but my 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 SE and the Vredesteins went right up it. You can actually feel these tires gripping and how strong they feel. I am so happy with my purchase and will only buy this type of tire from now on. Had them put on our 2016 Mitsubishi aoutlander Sport GT AWC after the snow. My co-worker is still going to get them for her 2015 Mirage and now my Grandma is having them put on her 2003 Toyota Camry LE this week. I will recommend these to anyone! Thanks Vredestein!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-29-2018),wellswebdesign (12-30-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It's good to hear that you are liking your Bridgestone tires. I've read some mixed reviews on those, but they have been around for a very long time. I appreciate others sharing their experience with tires. Our factory size choices are very limited in the U.S.
    Canada has a real limited selection of small tires to choose from too... must be lack of demand for 14" tires these days, in North America at least. Everyone with their Rav 4's and Equinoxes.

At the local Mitsu dealer my selection was limited to Dunlops again, Bridgestones, and I forget the other. Local Kal Tire sells one tire for the Mirage, and it's a winter tire. Nordman 7 studded or unstudded 165/65R14's. Not sure where you can legally drive studded tires
    Last edited by dspace9; 12-29-2018 at 06:53 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd love to see an owner give a MPG change report on the Vredesteins. Of course, winter mileage could make it difficult, now. I'm really considering them when I have to change out my factory tires.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have loads of experience wth winter driving only ever having lived in Ontario Canada like my whole life. Winter MPG varies wildly not just the gas you use (petro canada is the best imo) also driving style and how much sludge you have to slog through your Mirage thru

Goes from 4.5-6 L 100 kms or a bit more winter time and 4.9 avg in the summer months

So that's like 39-55 mpg overall equal numbers on the dunlops as on the Bridgestones

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by azdonw View Post
    I'd love to see an owner give a MPG change report on the Vredesteins. Of course, winter mileage could make it difficult, now. I'm really considering them when I have to change out my factory tires.
    I agree. Some reviewers make reference to them being LRR tires, but I don't see direct evidence of that. I have read somewhere that they are considered green tires in Europe, but I don't know the significance of that?

If I never had to deal with snow/ice, I would be content with the Federal SS-657 tires. They seem to be a good value so far, but I haven't heard how many miles others are getting out of them?

Since I do have to deal with snow/ice & ridge roads, I am willing to pay $30 extra/tire for the Vredestein tires. In my case, I have a 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X (manual) with snow tires that I can pull out of the garage when it's really nasty out. Just the same, I am amazed what these little cars can do in the snow. They hold their own with good tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Canada has a real limited selection of small tires to choose from too... must be lack of demand for 14" tires these days, in North America at least. Everyone with their Rav 4's and Equinoxes.

At the local Mitsu dealer my selection was limited to Dunlops again, Bridgestones, and I forget the other. Local Kal Tire sells one tire for the Mirage, and it's a winter tire. Nordman 7 studded or unstudded 165/65R14's. Not sure where you can legally drive studded tires
    It has nothing to do with tires being 14" in my opinion. It's the 165/65-14 tire size that is odd. Walmart carries 2-4 tire options on line most of the time. If the tires size was 175/65-14, you would have about 80-some tire options to pick from. Going to 15" tires drops your options about half that. A number of forum members have gone with 175/65-14 tires for this very reason. Going from a 22.4" to 23" outside diameter tire is not that drastic of a change. If the Mirage came with 175/65-14 tires, our entire discussion would be different. Those tires exist in the U.S. market. Many U.S. tire companies start with 175 width tires & up.

I don't think 14" tires are not unusual for a small car. My cousin's 2007 Chevy Colorado 4-door pickup has 15" tires. My 2011 Subaru Forester has 16" in tires. Rim size isn't everything. My 1990 Ford Festiva had 12" tires, and those were somewhat small.

I only use a dealer for warranty work, but I don't live near one either. Plus, I bought my Mirage from a dealer that was about 4-hours from me. My local mechanic doesn't care where I buy from my tires from (from him or elsewhere), and he doesn't charge much to mount/balance them. Federal tires are about $50/tire on average, & a number of tire suppliers carry them including Walmart sometimes. Vredestein are about $80/tire on average. Vulcan tires (never dealt with them) had a $76/tire deal on the Quatrac 5 with free shipping last night. Tirerack.com seems to have the 165/65-14 Vredestein tires in stock all the time, & their prices have remained somewhat consistent on them.

Factory size tires are very limiting, but a person can work around that with some other sizes, too.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Factory size tires are very limiting, but a person can work around that with some other sizes, too.
    For sure, I just haven't made many adjustments with the whole point of my car purchase is for warranty and just to drive it - not to do any experimenting... but neat what the car can have like 15" wheels for example even on higher stock models. I have to try the Vredesteins somehow, then after those tires are expired, maybe time to retire the Mirage (or not) who knows
    Last edited by dspace9; 12-29-2018 at 11:35 PM.

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  F643436E-2361-4678-B2FA-950D02D2BC38.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  94.6 KB

The Vredestein Quatrac 5 has done very good in the rain, snow and ice for me over the last couple minths. So impressed that my Grandma installed them on her 2003 Toyota Camry and we also installed them on our 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport GT AWC to replace the **** Nexen N Priz OEM Tires that were horrible. These Vredesteins are great tires.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirage ES Navi For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-14-2019)

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  1C3EFDC6-0C3F-4A23-BB15-2BD7FF01D25D.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  101.0 KB

Very Deep Tread! Yet they are super quiet, ride very smooth, take bumps and expansion joints very smoothly. All around far better than my OEM Yokohama Avid tires. Pulling out in the rain is much more confident and the stopping, turning, and pulling out in the snow is very secure feeling, you can tell you have a good set of tires on.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirage ES Navi For This Useful Post:

A-Aron (01-15-2019)