Thread: My new OEM-size tires: Vredestein Quatrac 5

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  8ABAEB0C-9940-43A2-9430-FB04344666FD.jpg
Views: 1011
Size:  100.3 KB

Here they are in 18 inch on our 2016 Outlander Sport GT AWC. Much wider lol, even has an extra row of tread and each section of tread is wider with more groves and sipes. We have only tried them in light snow in the Outlander Sport this morning because we just got them less than a week ago but the vehicle rides smoother, quieter, handles better, takes bumps much less harsh and just feels like a much more secure tire all the same characteristic I got with my G4.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage ES Navi View Post
    Here they are in 18 inch on our 2016 Outlander Sport GT AWC. Much wider lol, even has an extra row of tread and each section of tread is wider with more groves and sipes. We have only tried them in light snow in the Outlander Sport this morning because we just got them less than a week ago but the vehicle rides smoother, quieter, handles better, takes bumps much less harsh and just feels like a much more secure tire all the same characteristic I got with my G4.
    I've appreciated your past reviews & continued updates of the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires. I have never bought or used asymmetrical tires before, but I see myself trying these tires some day.

Mirage G4 SE
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I've appreciated your past reviews & continued updates of the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires. I have never bought or used asymmetrical tires before, but I see myself trying these tires some day.

Thank you! I love these tires. If you ever do buy them you will be impressed with them I am sure!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Have you had a chance to try out your Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires on snow/ice this winter yet?
    Got a little bit of snow last week, and they seemed to do pretty good. My wife and neighbor both slid a little (triggering ABS) pulling up to the light to get out of our subdivision, but I didn't. We're currently getting ice pellets, and then (supposedly) 7-10" of snow this afternoon, so I'll have an even more definitive post later.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Forecasters got it wrong, as usual, but we still had probably 4-6" of snow, and some ice thrown in for good measure. The wind caused part of the street in front of our house to be nearly bare pavement, with 2' drifts in front of the driveway.

The important part of the post is that I'm quite happy with the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires on snow and light ice. Very little slipping, even on the snow-packed-into-ice roads. I wouldn't hesitate to buy these tires again, when the time comes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-22-2019),inuvik (01-21-2019),Pryme (01-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Some companies will not mount a non stock tire. Discount tire I believe has that policy.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Some companies will not mount a non stock tire. Discount tire I believe has that policy.
    Places like Discount Tires Direct & Tire Rack want to sell tires. They have numerous installers that will do tires for them. Discount Tires uses installers outside of their own stores. Likewise, Tire Rack has installers all over the country. When I do a search for installers in my area, many of the same tire shops will install tires from both companies. Yes, both tire companies will list the same overlapping installers on their website.

Money talks & these companies are in the business of selling tires. You are not going to have a problem finding someone to install a Vredestein Quatrac 5 tire from Tire Rack. The nearest Tire Direct installer for my area is 49 miles away. The nearest Tire Rack installer is only 20 miles away.

My hometown mechanic will install any tire and balance it for $10. He doesn't even write up a slip to do it most of the time. He could care less if I bring a tire in or buy them through him. Since owning my Mirage, he's mounted/balanced a pair of snow tires from tires-easy.com on new steel rims from onlywheels.com. When I lost a factory Dunlop to sidewall blow out, he mounted a pair of Federal tires from simpletire.com. I just dropped off the rims and tires & picked them up a few hours later. Another mechanic in town would gladly do the same for me. When someone asks me who's a good mechanic in town, where do you think I send them?

If you go into a tire shop and tell them you want a 165/65r14 Vredestein Quatrac 5, it's not like they are going to come up with a lot of other options to sell you. What other tire is comparable to the Quatrac 5 in a 165/65-14 size? I could come up with a couple better snow tires & a few cheaper summer tires. I don't know of a comparable option to this Quatrac 5 tire sold by someone else. If you jump to a 175/65-14 tire, your options become endless!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    in my area shops will not mount or balance non oem specified tires (one meeting all oem requirements) on a car..
    if you bring in the rims and tires loose they will happily mount and balance anything on any rims... the liability shifts to you.
    i think this is due to regulations and liability..
    also if a car goes into a local tire shop and the tpms light is out and functioning properly it has to be out and functioning properly for the car to leave the shop...
    if it is on when it pulls in then it can be on when it leaves..
    call it big brother knows best lol..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Aron For This Useful Post:

Pryme (01-24-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Here is an interesting article about what tire shops are legally required to do when dealing with TPMS systems...

Dealing With the Legalities of TPMS: ‘Ignorance of the Law is No Excuse’

I bought new wheels/tires from a local Discount Tire. Both the wheels and tires were completely non-OEM sizes for my Mirage. In order to keep the process simple, I think I told them I had a 2015 Spark. That way the wheel/tire size I was buying (185-55-15) matched up with their computer. You know how things get at large chain stores when they can't find an exact match in their computer system.

I agree with carrying in your wheels/tires to avoid the grief of being told "this size won't fit you car" or "you really need to buy this size tire for a Mirage." I carried in my original Mirage wheels so they could swap the TPMS sensors over. I never had any problems.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Places like Discount Tires Direct & Tire Rack want to sell tires. They have numerous installers that will do tires for them. Discount Tires uses installers outside of their own stores. Likewise, Tire Rack has installers all over the country. When I do a search for installers in my area, many of the same tire shops will install tires from both companies. Yes, both tire companies will list the same overlapping installers on their website.

Money talks & these companies are in the business of selling tires. You are not going to have a problem finding someone to install a Vredestein Quatrac 5 tire from Tire Rack. The nearest Tire Direct installer for my area is 49 miles away. The nearest Tire Rack installer is only 20 miles away.

My hometown mechanic will install any tire and balance it for $10. He doesn't even write up a slip to do it most of the time. He could care less if I bring a tire in or buy them through him. Since owning my Mirage, he's mounted/balanced a pair of snow tires from tires-easy.com on new steel rims from onlywheels.com. When I lost a factory Dunlop to sidewall blow out, he mounted a pair of Federal tires from simpletire.com. I just dropped off the rims and tires & picked them up a few hours later. Another mechanic in town would gladly do the same for me. When someone asks me who's a good mechanic in town, where do you think I send them?

If you go into a tire shop and tell them you want a 165/65r14 Vredestein Quatrac 5, it's not like they are going to come up with a lot of other options to sell you. What other tire is comparable to the Quatrac 5 in a 165/65-14 size? I could come up with a couple better snow tires & a few cheaper summer tires. I don't know of a comparable option to this Quatrac 5 tire sold by someone else. If you jump to a 175/65-14 tire, your options become endless!
    I think you're confused about what I said Mark.

If you drive your mirage into discount and ask for a non stock size, they will say no. Like others have said, you would have to bring in all your wheels and tires without your car. What a complete PITA. I'm okay with the stock size though.