Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: My new OEM-size tires: Vredestein Quatrac 5

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    7 said some cars leave the factory at 80 PSI, far above any maximum specified by any car tire I'm aware of and some of those cars, if they are being shipped from overseas by the time they hit the port, clear customs, get waybilled for the dealer, get delivered then finally PDI's might have those insane pressures in the tires for a substantial time.
    I should have clarified ... I was only talking about the Hyundai-Kia vehicles built in Montgomery, AL & West Point, GA.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I should have clarified ... I was only talking about the Hyundai-Kia vehicles built in Montgomery, AL & West Point, GA.
    Fair enough, although my curiosity is really peaked, I'd love to find out what kind of tire pressures the various brands are shipping with, even if domestically produced or foreign. I mentioned I worked at Ford back in the day but not as an engineer dealing with final fitment, tires, gasoline and whatnot. I'll call an old buddy who was in that area and see what he remembers. Ya, it's 40 yr. old data but his kid is an engineer at Honda so maybe we can find out a little more.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The way it worked at the Hyundai plant, some cars would go out with a various front and rear at 120 psi, a 3rd tire at 57 psi, and the 4th might be flat. The shipping specification might have been say 65 psi. Don't quote me on those numbers, I'm not saying those were the exact numbers. But that's a typical result, the m.o. of that plant. With spiders and their associated webs built up in the fuel filler neck.

Don't get me wrong, some or most (American) employees there gave a crap. A large segment did not. The Korean leadership only talked about quality, but didn't walk the walk. The Toyota Japanese staff were absolute, it was their honor at stake. The differences in design and manufacturing between the two were MONUMENTAL. Sorry, going off again, my rant ends here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Still holding out for 165/65r14 Vredestein Quatrac 5 for $67.08/tire (currently $92.88). According to Tire Rack, delivery by April 7th is now April 24th. I don't plan on using them until next fall, but it would be nice to get them @ the discounted price.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mits (03-26-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm actually looking at 245/45 R19 Vredestein tires for my LS 460L. $235 a tire...

They're currently my #1 choice.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm actually looking at 245/45 R19 Vredestein tires for my LS 460L. $235 a tire...

They're currently my #1 choice.
    Hypertrac All Season (500AA) or Hitrac All Season (700AA)?

My main interest in the Vredestein Quatrac 5 is winter performance, & they will be my first all-weather asymmetrical tires to try out on my Mirage.

My next tire purchase will be for my Forester (215/65r16). I think my summer set of tires (Cooper CS4) are going into their 9th year. I may get one more summer out of them, because I use my Mirage most of the time.

I have a pair of Cooper Evolution Touring on my driver's education Impala, and they look terrible (very disappointing) after one year. Otherwise, I have always been a big fan of Cooper/Mastercraft tires. Goodyear & Cooper are the last of American tire companies, but Goodyear bought out Cooper recently. Cooper makes great truck tires.

I think I am going to try my first pair Falken tires for my Forester next. Thankfully, 16" Falken tires can still be found for under $100/tire & still have a decent warranty. I have always heard good things about Falken tires, but I have never had a pair or set.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Hypertrac All Season (500AA) or Hitrac All Season (700AA)?
    HiTrac, because that car is all high falutin.

But fo' real though, you might want to check out Riken Raptor tires. I have bought at least 2 sets of those, maybe 3 sets. And they were all fabulous for the money. I still have them on my Plymouth Scamp and Toyota Camry. Wear nice, stay balanced, quiet and generally one of the least expensive choices available. I've been super happy with mine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    HiTrac, because that car is all high falutin.

But fo' real though, you might want to check out Riken Raptor tires. I have bought at least 2 sets of those, maybe 3 sets. And they were all fabulous for the money. I still have them on my Plymouth Scamp and Toyota Camry. Wear nice, stay balanced, quiet and generally one of the least expensive choices available. I've been super happy with mine.
    I will look into those for my Forester. I am open to good suggestions, & I see Riken Raptor tires are associated with Michelin. It's not a brand I have heard of before.

Edit my post - I'm not really finding 215/65r16 Riken tires.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-16-2023 at 08:51 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I read about that Michelin association but I don't remember the details. Seems Michelin bought a large share of Riken. I'm surprised how good they are compared to how little they've been heard of. I myself tried my first set on a whim. I have probably 30 year old tires on the Scamp and though they might not be the best choice with which to hit 103 mph on the drag strip. I thought I may change wheels / tires in the near future so I just wanted some cheapies to get me down the road maybe a year. Put them on, they were fabulous. I put them on my Camry, they were fabulous. I think I put them on my Corolla, but the wife went and redesigned the exterior and functionality of that car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  1122663E-B275-464B-AE22-3A7567FC83C7.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  87.2 KB

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Magenta For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-22-2023)