Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: doing front brakes - tools needed

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

doing front brakes - tools needed

I guess my main concern is the size the clamp to compress the piston back. I have a 3.5" clamp and my other clamps are somewhere in my garage.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    I use any size C-clamp that will fit. And I place the old pad back in there in any way it will fit to touch the pistons. Then I turn the C-clamp down. Might be a good idea to pop the top off the brake reservoir too. But keep an eye on the level. Don't want to spill over in case it's been refilled when the brakes were worn down.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

You can just use your hands. Just go slow, it'll push in easy enough. Or....Before you remove the caliper, stick a flat screwdriver into the slot of the caliper, into the rotor and pry the caliper over(outboard) that'll get the piston moving in atleast a bit, might be able to reposition and get it pushed in all the way.
    Or...A pair of channel locks works pretty good. That's what I normally use.
    Or leave the outboard pad attatched to the caliper, stuff a piece of wood or whatever else will take up the gap and pry the piston in, this way probably won't work like it does in imagination land though.
    Otherwise, to get the caliper off it's a couple 14mm/9/16 bolts, the bracket(you don't need to remove it) is a couple 17mm iirc. Bfh to remove rotor or find a couple 12mm(iirc) headed bolts to thread into the rotor to press it off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    You can just use your hands. Just go slow, it'll push in easy enough. Or....Before you remove the caliper, stick a flat screwdriver into the slot of the caliper, into the rotor and pry the caliper over(outboard) that'll get the piston moving in atleast a bit, might be able to reposition and get it pushed in all the way.
    Or...A pair of channel locks works pretty good. That's what I normally use.
    Or leave the outboard pad attatched to the caliper, stuff a piece of wood or whatever else will take up the gap and pry the piston in, this way probably won't work like it does in imagination land though.
    Otherwise, to get the caliper off it's a couple 14mm/9/16 bolts, the bracket(you don't need to remove it) is a couple 17mm iirc. Bfh to remove rotor or find a couple 12mm(iirc) headed bolts to thread into the rotor to press it off.
    Thank you sir. It appears manageable, I've done the brakes on Caravans of all vintages, front and rear, disc/drum, disc/disc, bike brakes of all makes , the rears are work but oh well.

And funny enough, my choice BFH is at the front door. Like a dog waiting to be let out. 10b. of cast steel and fiberglas!

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    I keep one of these in my brake toolbox. It works well (as long as your piston isn't seized in the caliper) and it's under $10.

Name:  pad_spreader.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  64.3 KB

Video

Funny that Fummins mentioned using your bare hands. I think that's what I ended up doing last time on my Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I keep one of these in my brake toolbox. It works well (as long as your piston isn't seized in the caliper) and it's under $10.

Name:  pad_spreader.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  64.3 KB

Video

Funny that Fummins mentioned using your bare hands. I think that's what I ended up doing last time on my Mirage.
    I do that when I'm too lazy to walk across the shop or just want to feel like the hulk.

I forgot about that tool. I have one of those too, but my go-to is usually just a medium sized pair of channel locks.
    I've had the top caliper bolt/pin strip out a time or two when using an impact on the bolt. So I just left it and removed the lower bolt more carefully. There's enough room to tilt and remove the caliper with the upper bolt in place.
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-26-2024 at 02:38 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-26-2024)

Country
    Poland
    Thanks
    I am cheaper than that - I drive Mirage! When I have nothing around, hammer wooden handle works just fine!
    As long as you are careful with the piston's dust cap/seal you can you whatever you like.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2021 Space Star Intense SDA 1.2 automatic: 34.5 mpg (US) ... 14.7 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm loving all the different hints!

I'll be hooking up my trailer to fetch a radio antenna tower in Guelph. I am going to make sure I have a white license and single left side red light.

Just attach wheels to the tower and tow it with a rope.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I'll be hooking up my trailer to fetch a radio antenna tower in Guelph. I am going to make sure I have a white license and single left side red light.
    And we expect to see pictures of this tower mounted on your Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)