Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 715161718 LastLast

Thread: My new OEM-size tires: Vredestein Quatrac 5

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    In 5 years? What do you do with your tires?
    I don't get your question really. If I need tires, I buy them. What do you do?

I use up every tire I buy to the very end of their life! Given the circumstances, I have bought most tires in pairs.

October 2017 - bought my new Mirage.

December 2017 - bought an extra pair of steel rims & a pair Nokian Nordman 7 tires ($80/tire @ tires-easy.com). I don't get home without snow tires some days. Even with brand new snow tires, I didn't make it up my winter ridge road one night. I had to leave my car in a neighbor's driveway & get it the next day.

June 2018 - bought a pair of Federal SS657 tires ($40/tire @ simpletire.com). One of my factory Dunlop Enasave tires failed (sidewall blow out). I bought a pair so they would match on each axle & continued to use the other two factory Dunlop tires. Federal tires did summer & rear axle winter duty for a few years.

Sometime around 2020 - bought someNexen N'Priz AH5 tires ($50/tire @ tires-easy) - I had picked up another pair of steel rims from Dirk. As my Federal & Dunlop tires were starting to wear down during the summer months, I wanted something newer to compliment my snow tires during the winter months. The Nokain & Nexen became my winter tires, and the Federal/Dunlop remained my summer tires.

Summer 2021 - bought a pair of Kumho Solus TA31 to replaced the worn out Federal tires (got approximately 40,000-45,000 miles out of them, which isn't bad for a $40 tire / one third the cost of the Dunlop at the time).

I have 76,000+ miles on my 2017 Mirage. I have 8 steel rims (winter/summer sets) for my Mirage.

Factory Dunlop Enasave pair - are worn completely out & still on the factory rims
    Federal SS657 pair - were used up & replaced by the Kumho Solus TA31 (used last summer & this winter)
    Nokian Nordman 7 pair - completing their 6th winter seasons.
    Kumho Solus TA31 pair did rear axle duty this past winter, & will be used this coming summer.
    Nexen N'Priz AH5 pair - they did summer & winter duty the previous two years, & they will be used this coming summer.

My goal is to have newer threads for the winter months & use up older tires during the summer months. I feel that is the best use of my tires. I value traction where I live for the winter months. Things like LRR are secondary to me. We also don't have many 165/65r14 tires choices in the States. I buy tires when I see a good deal.

I am not going to buy a set of tires & use them year round until they wear out where I live. I've been climbing winter ridge roads (that don't get much sun) since 1994. Skinny tires that are somewhat new are best! Buying tires in pairs allows me to keep new tires up front. I've been doing that for almost 30 years now.

Summer 2023 - Kumho* & Nexen* pairs will have summer duty.

Winter 2023-24 - I hope to replace my worn out factory Dunlop Enasave* tires with a new pair of Vredestein Quatrac 5 ($68.07/tire @ tirerack.com), & I will shift my Nokian Nordman 7* snow tires to rear axle duty for the next few winters.

* current 4 brands/pairs I have on steel rims.

This is where I am (76,000+ miles) with tires. Dunlop Enasave & Federal SS57 tires have been used up. Everything else is still being used.

If that seems odd to some, so be it I guess?

Last edited by Mark; 03-24-2023 at 04:51 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    In 5 years? What do you do with your tires?
    OK, fo' real though. Mark lives in a place where winter tires are more than a little useful, in wintery weather. So, right off the bat, he's going to be playing around with twice as many tires as ... well someone like me.

He has his Ice Road Trucking tires for the winter, and then he has his Hotlanta summer tires for a nice smooth ride in the summer. The summer tires are needed for all the required parking lot gription when he's slaloming around mother's pushing their shopping carts full of groceries and toddlers through the parking lots.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    OK, fo' real though. Mark lives in a place where winter tires are more than a little useful, in wintery weather. So, right off the bat, he's going to be playing around with twice as many tires as ... well someone like me.

He has his Ice Road Trucking tires for the winter, and then he has his Hotlanta summer tires for a nice smooth ride in the summer. The summer tires are needed for all the required parking lot gription when he's slaloming around mother's pushing their shopping carts full of groceries and toddlers through the parking lots.
    If I lived in your area, I would be driving the Dunlop tires until they were shot. Losing one to a sidewall issue at 15,000 miles forced me to pick up a pair of new tires regardless of my winters here.

Some countries have snow tire mandates. I know my son-in-law experiences that in Finland.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'll drive my Enasaves until I see cords...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

I just run winter tires year round. Going on year three I believe. I'm too cheap to buy a second set for summer tires, kinda have to be with all the magic yearly pointless carbon(not a tax)tax increases and now beer is being taxed ffs. This place sucks, I'm outta here!
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You need summer tires, like I need winter tires. You only get a month to 6 weeks with no snow on the ground.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just run winter tires year round. Going on year three I believe. I'm too cheap to buy a second set for summer tires, kinda have to be with all the magic yearly pointless carbon(not a tax)tax increases and now beer is being taxed ffs. This place sucks, I'm outta here!
    I don't sense that you take extremely long trips with your Mirage either, & that would make a difference, too. Just visiting my parents is about a 450 mile round trip.

I will be doing a fishing trip to North Dakota in May, and that will be a 1,300 mile round trip for my little Mirage.

I don't find changing tires very hard, especially tiny ones for the Mirage. I take care of tire rotations when I switch them out each spring & fall, too.

I do the same for my Forester, too. Being AWD, I have two matching sets of tires. I am shuffling 16 tires each spring & fall, but my snow tires last a long time that way.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't get your question really. If I need tires, I buy them. What do you do?
    Do I taste some irritation? If so, I apologize. It was certainly not my intention to insult you. Blame it on my different culture and language.

I was just surprised to see you bought 4 different brands, and ordered a 5th one in 5 years. As I didn't expect you to buy single tires, that were at least 10 of them. My car is 10 years old now, and has worn out 4 tires. The replacements I bought are still going strong. But of course, your conditions are very different from mine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do I taste some irritation? If so, I apologize. It was certainly not my intention to insult you. Blame it on my different culture and language.

I was just surprised to see you bought 4 different brands, and ordered a 5th one in 5 years. As I didn't expect you to buy single tires, that were at least 10 of them. My car is 10 years old now, and has worn out 4 tires. The replacements I bought are still going strong. But of course, your conditions are very different from mine.
    I am not sure our conditions are all that different. I've been driving my Mirage for 5.5 years/76,000+ miles, & I have worn out 4 tires (Federal pair & factory Dunlop pair). If the factory Dunlop had not had a sidewall issue, I wouldn't have bought a pair of $40/tire Federal tires.

I am not loyal to tire brands. I shop for the best tire value at the time.

When my $40 Federal tires were worn out, the Nexen N'Priz AH5 (460AA/50,000 mile warranty) for $50/tire on sale seemed like the best deal to replace them. These tires are typically $85+/tire.

When my remaining pair of Dunlop tires were worn out, the Kumho Solus TA 31 (500AA/60,000 mile warranty) for approximately $65/tire seemed like the best deal at the time.

My Nokian Nordman 7 have done front axle duty the past 6 winters. They will do rear axle winter duty starting next winter.

The Vredestein Quatrac 5 tire I bought (currently on backorder) will do front axle winter duty starting next winter. I bought them now, because of the rebate. I'm getting them at $68/tire instead of today's $93/tire price.

I know my upcoming needs, & I shop for tire deals. When I see a good deal, I somewhat jump on it. Overall 165/65r14 tires are not that common here. If I were using 175/65r14 or other size tires, I wouldn't be as concerned.

Buying 5 different tire pairs/brands in 5 years does sound excessive. Of those 5 brands, however, only the cheap $40 Federal tires have been used up. The other 4 brands (Nokian, Nexen, Kumho, & Vredestein) will serve my needs (both summer & winter) for years to come.

The Nokian pair have done 6 winter seasons up front, & I could see them doing another 3+ winter seasons on the rear. The Kumho/Nexen tires seem to be wearing better than the Dunlop/Federal tires, & I look forward to trying out the Vredestein Quactrac 5 tires up front next winter.

Tires in bold print will be my current tires (once I received the back ordered Vredestein tires).
    Last edited by Mark; 03-26-2023 at 06:26 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I know my upcoming needs, & I shop for tire deals. When I see a good deal, I somewhat jump on it.
    Why do I get the feeling that in X number of years (hopefully X is a large number), when you pass away, your next of kin are going to have to deal with a huge mountainous pile of new or slightly used tires?