Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: My new OEM-size tires: Vredestein Quatrac 5

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I have a question, i hope basic chimes in. what pressure should stored tires on rim be kept at?

Maximum pressure to keep the rubber and belts taught so they don't shift?
    Minimum pressure like 5PSI so the stress on the tire structure is minimal?
    Deflated so there is ZERO stress on the tire?

I know tire shops just stack the tires, no real regard to it, no rims of course but is that the best approach?
    I stack my extra tires laying flat for my Mirage & Forester. I place a board under the bottom one to keep it off the cement of my garage floor. It's never been an issue in my opinion. My Cooper CS4 tires are about 8+ years old (summer use only the past few years) for my Forester, & it hasn't been a problem.

I'm sure hanging them or running a pipe or pole through the center of the rims to hold them off the ground would be best.

Air-wise, I do nothing when I take them off. Now that I have a TPMS tool, I pump them up & check that the sensors are working before I mount them back on.

The nice thing about having two sets of tires is that I can rotate the tires as I put on the other set each spring & late fall.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    It's an interesting question. about 10,000 pounds of pressure to hold down the cars at the tires. Way above even the max inflation pressure.

take ownership with cars running 80 psi and the like. This is probably not exclusive to Hyundai-Kia.

I wouldn't rest them standing up as this may lead to a flat spot. But Basic may say different, and his word is the final verdict.
    JFC. Imagine the harsh ass ride those owners experienced w/80psi in the tires? That likely means some owners had tires @110psi down to about 55psi, about a standard deviation out? I might be off a bit but, WOW, goes to show the max inflation pressure on the tire is only suggested as they can tolerate a hell of a lot more. I have heard the mileage guys have their tires up to 100psi but I figure they never exceeded 40mph or so for wind resistance and all that. Even so, now that I think about small trailer tires on the market run @90 PSI for the 4.80-8.00 780 lb. rating @ 65mph I now longer worry about these higher pressures.

I remember as a teen working a tire shop a guy was killed while inflating a front truck tire. I was shocked, how the **** does a tire kill someone? They told me truck tires use 150 psi + to blow them up and seat them and if anything goes wrong = dead operator. Ever since that day pressures above 60 PSI have scared me, TBH. Here I am at my age still worried about an injury from working with tires. Oh, we all have some phobias.

I agree, tires must be laid flat, these tire racks where tire are stood up beside each other are no good. I have a tire tree where I can pile 8 tires on top of each other but I stack a max of 4 on each tree and put the rimmed tires on the bottom and bare tires on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I stack my extra tires laying flat for my Mirage & Forester. I place a board under the bottom one to keep it off the cement of my garage floor. I'm sure hanging them or running a pipe or pole through the center of the rims to hold them off the ground would be best.

The nice thing about having two sets of tires is that I can rotate the tires as I put on the other set each spring & late fall.
    I leaned about the board trick with batteries, they would die in no time on cement. I like the idea of hanging them on a pole and my tire tree could likely be turned sideways and then hoisted up. that would work.

The only true unknown now is the best pressure to keep them at. Hell, maybe 100psi is the best for storage.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The only true unknown now is the best pressure to keep them at. Hell, maybe 100psi is the best for storage.
    I have 8+ year old Cooper tires that I may use one more summer on my Forester. They get stored during the winter months. They have been perfectly fine stored at normal psi, but I do tend to keep my tires around 40 psi (higher than the vehicle's recommended psi, but always below the tire's maximum rate psi).

I think long term storage at 100 psi could do more harm than good.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Hell, maybe 100psi is the best for storage.
    At high pressures, and long periods of storage, I'm betting things are gonna stretch. Personally, I'm guessing (Basic probably knows the truth of it), I would tend to think that the less pressure on them, the better for storage. As long as the tires don't get stored out of their design shape. Folding, twisting, whatever and held in that position a long time I'm betting has a negative effect on those areas. So, if they're stored on rims, just a slight pressure to have them hold their intended shape. But a lot of pressure would put a lot of pressure on them ... I wouldn't store them that way. Just my thinking.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    At high pressures, and long periods of storage, I'm betting things are gonna stretch. Personally, I'm guessing (Basic probably knows the truth of it), I would tend to think that the less pressure on them, the better for storage. As long as the tires don't get stored out of their design shape. Folding, twisting, whatever and held in that position a long time I'm betting has a negative effect on those areas. So, if they're stored on rims, just a slight pressure to have them hold their intended shape. But a lot of pressure would put a lot of pressure on them ... I wouldn't store them that way. Just my thinking.
    I was being more tongue in cheek there but you have to wonder with some trailer tires using 90 PSI as their norm, and most trailers just sit for long stretches, is storing them at high(er) than normal pressures that bad? I wouldn't do it either but at the same time I'm not going to lower my trailer tires from the 60 PSI they have now in case the lower pressure allows a flat spot to develop.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    90 psi implies (to me) E-Rated tires (I think they're called). Which are rated for that pressure. So holding that pressure in those tires for storage shouldn't be an issue.

And if a trailer gets flat spotted tires, it's probably not going to affect the ride of the tow vehicle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was being more tongue in cheek there but you have to wonder with some trailer tires using 90 PSI as their norm, and most trailers just sit for long stretches, is storing them at high(er) than normal pressures that bad? I wouldn't do it either but at the same time I'm not going to lower my trailer tires from the 60 PSI they have now in case the lower pressure allows a flat spot to develop.
    My bike tires take 65 psi. Why would I apply that same psi to car tires rated at 44 psi maximum & think that is OK?

An empty trailer parked somewhere is not the same as stacking your car tires in the garage somewhere. I thought we were talking about car tires in storage?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Well, yes we are and there's still nothing but empirical thoughts about the best pressure to store them at. 7 said some cars leave the factory at 80 PSI, far above any maximum specified by any car tire I'm aware of and some of those cars, if they are being shipped from overseas by the time they hit the port, clear customs, get waybilled for the dealer, get delivered then finally PDI's might have those insane pressures in the tires for a substantial time. Doesn't seem to hurt them. Not saying I'm gong to try it either, who saud anything about storing bike tires @65psi. I didn't.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, yes we are and there's still nothing but empirical thoughts about the best pressure to store them at. 7 said some cars leave the factory at 80 PSI, far above any maximum specified by any car tire I'm aware of and some of those cars, if they are being shipped from overseas by the time they hit the port, clear customs, get waybilled for the dealer, get delivered then finally PDI's might have those insane pressures in the tires for a substantial time. Doesn't seem to hurt them. Not saying I'm gong to try it either, who saud anything about storing bike tires @65psi. I didn't.
    I don't store my bike tires @ 65 psi. I ride my bike with air in the tires, however. I was making a joke about it, because I don't see how bike tires, trailer tires, or some silly procedure Hyundai may use transport cars relates to any of this?

"Tires are overinflated during the shipping process, so as to help prevent the flat spot from forming in the tire as it sits for days on in during the shipping process. It is supposed to be part of the delivery check process that the service department deflates the tires to the proper pressure." Oct 12, 2015

Tires on your trailer or on your car have not been removed for storage. I don't see how any of this applies to tires stacked flat or hanging on hooks in one's garage?
    Last edited by Mark; 01-31-2023 at 03:19 AM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It's a well know fact that 97% of all threads here wander off track. This is just another. All I can say with confidence is my tires laying flat on my tire tree, some now 7 years old, some on rims, inflated to factory specs, some bare, are all useable with no flat spots or any signs of distortion for any reason. The only change I might make is to flip the tree on its side and then hoist it to my garage ceiling of about 10 feel.