Thread: My new OEM-size tires: Vredestein Quatrac 5

Country
    United States
    Thanks

My new OEM-size tires: Vredestein Quatrac 5

Name:  2018-09-08 10.52.40.jpg
Views: 3851
Size:  91.0 KB

I was at 35k miles on my original Ensave tires, and had a sidewall bubble in one that finally popped on my way to work last Tuesday. I've seen a few posts on here about the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires that TireRack sells for the Mirage, but I wasn't sure if anyone here had tried them out yet. They seemed to have great reviews, were pretty efficient (not sure if they're technically LRR or not), with relatively good light snow traction. In other words, decently average tires. So I bit the bullet, took one for the team, ordered them Tuesday, and they were delivered by Wednesday. I had them delivered directly to the Mr. Tire near me that was open Saturdays (only time I could reasonably get in). I've only got may 75 miles on them so far, but it's all been on wet to very-wet roads (leftover rain from Gordon), and so far they've been better than the Ensaves. My wife agrees that the car feels firmer and more stable. There's a curving interchange over a bridge that I go over, and there's a bump where asphalt ends and concrete begins, right in the middle of the curve. With the Ensaves, I would always feel the car kind of "bounce" to the side, but going over it this morning with the Vredestein tires, it didn't hop at all. $320 shipped for the tires, $110 for mount, balance, and disposal.

So far, I'm happy with them, though I will preface that with the fact that I'm not super picky or hyper-observant. But as far as tires go, they at least seem plenty safe in the rain so far.

Also, it's kind of fun to see "Made in The Netherlands" on my tires.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

BeanSproutExpress (09-24-2018),Eggman (09-09-2018),fc321 (01-19-2019),MetroMPG (09-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts

Vredestein

Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    Also, it's kind of fun to see "Made in The Netherlands" on my tires.
    It's a world market when it comes to tires. I copied & pasted the following quote -

"If you are looking to buy tires made in USA, you should know that most foreign global tire manufacturers already have plants in America. In fact, there are only two genuine American brands: Goodyear and Cooper. The largest foreign tire companies with plants in the US include Michelin, Pirelli, Continental, Bridgestone, and Yokohama. However, to make sure you buy USA tires, you should make sure they were made in the USA-based plants."

I look forward to future updates of your Vredestein tires. If someone really wants to stick with a 165/65r14 all-season tire that can handle winter conditions, I see this tire as the best & maybe only choice! Just because a tire has a tread-wear warranty of 65,000 to 80,000 miles doesn't mean it's the best performance tire for every situation. For example, snow tires seldom come with any tread-wear warranty.

Dunlop Enasave & Bridgestone Potenza tires seemed way overpriced for a small tire. I like the LRR factor, but I've never lost a tire to a sidewall blow out before. I had a Dunlop sidewall blow out @ approximately 15,000 miles a couple weeks ago. It could have been punctured, but I don't recall hitting anything unusual on the road. Thus, my money will go elsewhere in the future.

Unless I jump up a tire size, I could see the Vredestein becoming my go to tire of the future, too! Please keep us posted as time/mileage goes on.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign
    ...35k miles on my original Ensave tires, and had a sidewall bubble in one...
    Seems like more than a few people have reported sidewall failures on Enasaves lately. If you ever have an Enasave in your hand (unmounted from the wheel) the sidewalls do seem very thin.

...as far as tires go, they at least seem plenty safe in the rain so far.
    You picked a good time to try them out in the rain! Can we get any more precipitation around here right now?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Please keep us posted as time/mileage goes on.
    +1

It would be good to have another 165-65-14 alternative.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Please report back with gas mileage, longevity, etc. I found a link that said this "The tire also has 1) "extremely low rolling resistance," which qualifies the tire as green under European Union tire labeling requirements". So they apparently are low rolling resistance tires. Max PSI is 51, so I wouldn't hesitate to air them to 45 or so to get best MPG (assuming ride comfort isn't sacrificed).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's my 2 week review so far: I'm quite happy with the tires.

Traction overall isn't *as* nice as I'd like, there's still some tire slippage. I'm guessing it's just the combo of skinny tires + me + manual transmission.

I feel (I don't pretend to have senses attuned enough to verify) that the car doesn't roll as much in turns. It feels more stable than with the factory tires.

And gas mileage. I haven't aired the tires up any more than what the tire place did, but my gas mileage is just as good as with the Ensaves. The mileage reported from my driving yesterday (~70-80 degrees, to work and back, and then to the grocery store and back, all 25-45mph roads, no highways, some AC, some windows down) was 48.3mpg.

So yeah, overall, I'm pretty happy. We'll see how they do in the snow this winter, and how long they last.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-24-2018),fc321 (01-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the update. Definitely skinny tires.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I appreciate your updated review of the Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires. If you don't take to much of a hit in the mpg area, I would find that especially awesome to hear. The options for 165/65-14 tires in the U.S. are quite limited.

Even with my AWD vehicles, I like finding a good all-season tire that can also handle winter driving. Once I find a tire that I am happy with, I will run two sets of them. I will use the older set during the summer months, and I will use a newer set during the winter months. I've found that to work pretty well (CRV & Forester type vehicles) in my area of the Midwest.

Studded tires are illegal in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, & Illinois. Thus, studded tires are never an option to even consider for someone like me. The Vredestein Quatrac 5 may be the type of all-season tire that I am looking for in the future. I don't mind skinny tires, and I actually prefer narrower/higher profile winter tires on lightweight small cars like the Mirage. My experience with wide/low profile tires in the winter hasn't been as good.

The Vredestein Quatrac 5 may be the only mid-priced 165/65-14 all-season tire option we presently have. Price-wise it falls between the lesser known Federal tires and more commonly known Dunlop/Bridgestone tires. Thus, I appreciate you sharing your continued experience with them! Thanks!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts

Tire Comparison

Tire comparison of current tire offerings for 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage 165/65R14

TIRE SPECIFICATIONS Vredestein Quatrac 5 Bridgestone Potenza RE92 Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S Federal SS-657² Dunlop Winter Maxx WM02
    UTQG 400AA 260AB 340AB 420AA None
    Maximum Load 963 lbs 937 lbs 963 lbs 963 lbs 963 lbs
    Maximum Inflation Pressure 51 psi 44 psi 44 psi 44 psi 44 psi
    Tread Depth 10/32"¹ 9/32" 9/32" 10/32" 11/32"
    Tire Weight 12 lbs 13 lbs 13 lbs 14 lbs
    Rim Width Range 4.5-6" 4.5-6" 4.5-6" 4.5-6" 5-6"
    Measuring Rim Width 5" 5" 5" 5" 5"
    Section Width 6.5" 6.7" 6.3" 7"
    Tread Width 4.6" 5" 5.5" 4.9" 5.3"
    Overall Diameter 22.5" 22.4" 22.4" 23"
    Revolutions per Mile 926 910
    Country of Origin NL JP TH TW³ JP
    Eco Focus N/A eco focus Enasave N/A
    According to the numbers the Quatrac 5 looks to the be best choice.

wellswebdesign can you report on the tread depth of the set you have? I'm also curious to know if you got any treadwear warranty either from Tire Rack or Vredestein.

Notes:
    ¹ Vredestein tread depth as reported by forum member wellswebdesign.
    ² Federal SS-657 info from Tires-Easy.com.
    ³ Country of origin as reported by Alex1a1f.
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-30-2019 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Added Federal SS-657 info.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

BigMW (12-24-2022),Daox (09-24-2018),fc321 (01-19-2019),MetroMPG (09-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Vredestein

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    [URL="https://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp"] I'm also curious to know if you got any treadwear warranty either from Tire Rack or Vredestein.
    I took this from Vredestein's website -

30-Day Trial Period (Quatrac5, Ultrac Vorti R, Ultrac Vorti, and Wintrac xtreme S tread designs only)

If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with a new set of four Vredestein Quatrac5, Ultrac Vorti R, Ultrac Vorti, or Wintrac xtreme S tires installed on the same vehicle, you may return them to the original place of purchase for a full refund within 30 days after purchase.

Mileage Tread-Wear Coverage (Quatrac 5 tread design only) - 45,000 miles

Road Hazard Replacement Program (Quatrac5, Ultrac Vorti R, Ultrac Vorti, and Wintrac xtreme S tread designs only)

You will be given a new tire, free of charge, if any of a set of four Quatrac5, Ultrac Vorti R, Ultrac Vorti, or Wintrac xtreme S tires installed on the same vehicle suffers non-repairable damage from puncture, snag, cut, bruise or impact break caused by road hazards (for example, nails, glass, potholes and other debris) before the earlier of the loss of 2/32”(1.59 mm) of tread depth or one (1) year from the date of purchase.

https://www.vredestein.com/warranty/
    Last edited by Mark; 09-23-2018 at 02:48 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I took this from Vredestein's website -

30-Day Trial Period (Quatrac5, Ultrac Vorti R, Ultrac Vorti, and Wintrac xtreme S tread designs only)

If, for any reason, you are not satisfied with a new set of four Vredestein Quatrac5, Ultrac Vorti R, Ultrac Vorti, or Wintrac xtreme S tires installed on the same vehicle, you may return them to the original place of purchase for a full refund within 30 days after purchase.

Mileage Tread-Wear Coverage (Quatrac 5 tread design only) - 45,000 miles

Road Hazard Replacement Program (Quatrac5, Ultrac Vorti R, Ultrac Vorti, and Wintrac xtreme S tread designs only)

You will be given a new tire, free of charge, if any of a set of four Quatrac5, Ultrac Vorti R, Ultrac Vorti, or Wintrac xtreme S tires installed on the same vehicle suffers non-repairable damage from puncture, snag, cut, bruise or impact break caused by road hazards (for example, nails, glass, potholes and other debris) before the earlier of the loss of 2/32”(1.59 mm) of tread depth or one (1) year from the date of purchase.

https://www.vredestein.com/warranty/
    Mark, I browsed the Vredestein website and wondered if their warranty info was for the European market or for North America as well. I found it curious that there is no tread depth listed for this tire. Any measurements there can be included in the chart for everyone's benefit. The Quatrac looks like a fine choice. I especially like the higher maximum air pressure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)