Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: My new OEM-size tires: Vredestein Quatrac 5

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Added Federal SS-657 info to chart in post #8. The numbers for the SS-657 don't look too shabby either.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Added Federal SS-657 info to chart in post #8. The numbers for the SS-657 don't look too shabby either.
    I've been running them in their 175/55-15 for about 20k now and they're a good tire IMO. Made in Taiwan on side-wall. :-)
    (blank signature)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-07-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Thanks for doing that! Your chart in post #8 pretty much represents the major 165/65r14 tire options in the U.S.

I've been using a pair of the Federal SS-657 tires along with the Dunlop tires. The Federal tires are about half the cost of the Dunlop tires, & I've been impressed with them so far.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Made in Taiwan on side-wall. :-)
    Thanks Alex1a1f. I'll include this in the chart.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wellswebdesign View Post
    Here's my 2 week review so far: I'm quite happy with the tires.
    So yeah, overall, I'm pretty happy. We'll see how they do in the snow this winter, and how long they last.
    Have you had a chance to try out your Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires on snow/ice this winter yet?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Have you had a chance to try out your Vredestein Quatrac 5 tires on snow/ice this winter yet?
    I actually haven't. It has been an incredibly mild winter in Central Ohio so far. I'm not complaining!

I will say I'm not as pleased as I hoped to be about wet weather traction. Maybe it's the way I drive, or at least how I release the clutch to take off from a stop, but with both the Ensaves and the Vredesteins, I will occasionally spin the tires. Once I'm going, wet weather traction has been fine. Really my only other driving experience was 15 years in my Saturn (automatic transmission) where I always used Goodyear Assurance tires and never had issues.

I'm sure we wont escape snow/ice all winter, so I'll definitely post when I do drive in it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-29-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I actually haven't. It has been an incredibly mild winter in Central Ohio so far. I'm not complaining!

I will say I'm not as pleased as I hoped to be about wet weather traction. Maybe it's the way I drive, or at least how I release the clutch to take off from a stop, but with both the Ensaves and the Vredesteins, I will occasionally spin the tires. Once I'm going, wet weather traction has been fine. Really my only other driving experience was 15 years in my Saturn (automatic transmission) where I always used Goodyear Assurance tires and never had issues.

I'm sure we wont escape snow/ice all winter, so I'll definitely post when I do drive in it.
    You can’t unleash all that 74 hp without careful planning! “With great power comes great responsibilities”

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-29-2018),Eggman (12-29-2018),Pryme (01-22-2019),wellswebdesign (12-30-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    That made me LOL.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I live across the pond of Lake Ontario where the winter has been pretty mild so far too. I'm on my second set of tires since buying my Mirage back in 14, I went with Bridgestone Potenza 14" 's for my new set, and they don't spin nearly as much on the get-go as the Dunlops did... and I feel they are pretty good in all conditions and haven't shown much wear in the thread yet after like 30,000 kms on them (Dunlops were bald @ 70k). They feel higher quality (they say 'made in Japan' on them almost matches my Mirage).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe it's the way I drive, or at least how I release the clutch to take off from a stop, but with both the Ensaves and the Vredesteins, I will occasionally spin the tires.
    The Mirage is a light car, & it doesn't take much effort to make the front wheel spin when letting out the clutch. I find that myself, especially on wet roads. I have Nokian Nordman 7 (unstudded) on front this winter, & I will spin out with those on wet roads @ times, too. My Enasave tires were much worst for that, however. It's hard to harness those 78 hp!!!

Overall, our winter has been pretty mild in Wisconsin, too. I've only plowed out my driveway once, and that wasn't an excessive amount of snow either. No complaints about that here, too!

If I stick with factory size tires, I see myself trying the Vredestein Quatrac 5 eventually. We all know tire options are very limited. The Federal SS-657 & Vredestein Quatrac 5 are really the only two factory size all-season options that I would consider, unless something new comes out in the meantime. The Federal tires seem to be a good value, but I doubt that they are great in snow. If a person is running a second set of snow tires in the winter, the Federal tires are still a good option. If a person wants to stick with one tire all year round in the Midwest, the Vredestein may be a better option (or only option). Lack of choices in factory size tires limits this discussion. Thus, I appreciate your input! Thanks!