Thread: Blower Motor Failure? Battery light connected? (2015 48,5xx miles)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Blower Motor Failure? Battery light connected? (2015 48,5xx miles)

Bought my car 2 years ago next month. Had about 28k on it and was a 2015 CVT. I love everything about this car.

About a month ago I noticed I'd turn the A/C on and it wouldn't blow out the vents intermittently, but if I hit the accelerator and the RPM's jumped to 2k, it'd turn on. I also noticed a really loud whine twice, but it stopped after I turned it on and off.

Anyways, today nothing I did got it to turn on until I hit the blower motor lightly with my fist. To me this indicates a blower motor failure.

However, about 4 months ago I noticed that every time it rains and I drive through a puddle, the battery light turns on for about 10 seconds. The size and speed of the puddles don't seem to affect this.

Any ideas for either of these problems? My only hesitation to buying a new blower motor is that these two problems might be connected? Any input is appreciated!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Does the serpentine belt slip when it rains? I would first unplug and reinsert the fan relay in the fuse block in the engine compartment. It may simply just have poor contact. Also, when was the last time you changed your cabin air filter?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    There should be a splash guard under the engine compartment to prevent rain water from splashing up onto your crank pulley when you drive through puddles. Make sure it is intact.

I would definitely check your cabin air filter. The last time I checked mine there were so many leaves on top of the filter when I pulled it out that some of them wound up falling into the blower motor itself. I didn't think this would be a big deal as the fan would just 'chew them up and spit them out'. Then I noticed the blower started making a really strange noise. Turns out the leaves were stuck in the fan blades and were howling as they spun, with the fan basically acting as a 'salad spinner'.

Pull the blower motor and cabin filter out to visually check them for foreign material before assuming a fault with the motor itself.