Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CVT Filter change frequency

Country
    United States
    Thanks

CVT Filter change frequency

So scouring threads I managed to find the part numbers for the CVT Main Filter, Aux Filter, and Aux Filter O-ring. I think I may have even found a source that has all the parts in stock, Cobra Transmission, though their part numbers are different and I'm not sure which of their listings is the right O-ring yet.

At 30k miles I plan on doing the transmission fluid drain myself. Until the warranty period is out I plan on utilizing the OEM fluid, after that I might deviate into either Redline or Amsoil. At this time I also plan on changing both the filters in the transmission so that any break-in contamination is removed.

My question is, after the first filter change, what should my replacement frequency be?
    Right now I'm thinking Aux Filter every 30k miles and Main Filter (really it seems to just be a screen for big stuff) every 60k miles but I'm not sure.

Also since the CVT relies on the oil being warm, but not too warm, has anyone considered adding an electric warmer of some sorts for the winter?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepyeyes View Post
    So scouring threads I managed to find the part numbers for the CVT Main Filter, Aux Filter, and Aux Filter O-ring. I think I may have even found a source that has all the parts in stock, Cobra Transmission, though their part numbers are different and I'm not sure which of their listings is the right O-ring yet.

At 30k miles I plan on doing the transmission fluid drain myself. Until the warranty period is out I plan on utilizing the OEM fluid, after that I might deviate into either Redline or Amsoil. At this time I also plan on changing both the filters in the transmission so that any break-in contamination is removed.

My question is, after the first filter change, what should my replacement frequency be?
    Right now I'm thinking Aux Filter every 30k miles and Main Filter (really it seems to just be a screen for big stuff) every 60k miles but I'm not sure.

Also since the CVT relies on the oil being warm, but not too warm, has anyone considered adding an electric warmer of some sorts for the winter?
    I think that as long as you're not experiencing frigid temperatures (Single digit F, -20C) or colder you're ok. The owner's manual page 5-18 does give this warning though:

Startability of continuously variable transmission(CVT) vehicles with an ambienttemperature of -4 °F (-20 °C) or lowerWhen the ambient temperature is -4 °F (-20°C) or lower, it may not be possible to startfrom a standstill even with the selector leverin the “D” (DRIVE) or “R” (REVERSE)position.This phenomenon occurs because the transaxlehas not warmed up sufficiently; it doesnot indicate a problem. If this occurs, placethe selector lever in the “P” (PARK) positionand let the engine idle for at least 10 minutes.The transaxle will warm up, and you will beable to start normally.Do not leave the vehicle during warm-upoperation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I think that as long as you're not experiencing frigid temperatures (Single digit F, -20C) or colder you're ok. The owner's manual page 5-18 does give this warning though:

Startability of continuously variable transmission(CVT) vehicles with an ambienttemperature of -4 °F (-20 °C) or lowerWhen the ambient temperature is -4 °F (-20°C) or lower, it may not be possible to startfrom a standstill even with the selector leverin the “D” (DRIVE) or “R” (REVERSE)position.This phenomenon occurs because the transaxlehas not warmed up sufficiently; it doesnot indicate a problem. If this occurs, placethe selector lever in the “P” (PARK) positionand let the engine idle for at least 10 minutes.The transaxle will warm up, and you will beable to start normally.Do not leave the vehicle during warm-upoperation.
    Where I live it can get down to 0/-1F, the record lowest in the past 10 years was -17F. I am going to be getting a block heater, not sure if a pad heater for the tranny is worth it or if I should just let it idle for a bit.

I don't know what should be recommended for filter changes. I'm sure I read somewhere about Jatco recommending the cartridge filter be changed pretty regularly. I don't change them as often as I'd like.

The regular block heater everyone here installs on these cars is good enough. It just pushes into a hole in the block and doesn't touch the coolant directly. It gets cold here and even colder further north. It got to -46c(-50F) here 10 years ago and it's pretty common to get -30c(-22F) in the winter. I haven't heard of any complaints about the cvt's from drivers in the cold. But it's cheap and probably wouldn't anything to install a pad heater for the cvt.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Hi, could you give me the part numbers, cant even get the filter here from Mitsubishi?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterrow View Post
    Hi, could you give me the part numbers, cant even get the filter here from Mitsubishi?
    Main Filter (basically a screen for big chunks, have to drop the pan to get too) - 2824A017
    Aux Filter (what I have read recently supposed to be changed, AT LEAST every 30k miles, one thread here suggested every engine oil change; Paper filter) - 2921A011
    Aux Filter O-ring (you probably want to keep few on hand in case you ruin one) - 2921A010

On Cobra Transmission the P/N are:
    Main Filter - IPN6-73575KA
    Aux Filter - IPN6-73575KB
    O-ring - not sure yet, need to contact the company

Apparently the O-ring is a standard size, if someone could accurately measure one then it would be possible to buy a generic, off the shelf O-ring.

Edit: After more searching and reading it seems ACDelco 25198771 will work. Rock Auto lists it as an Automatic Transmission filter gasket for the Chevy Spark. I had store credit so I ordered one and will take a photo comparing it to the filter housing that way other people don't order one if it is found to not be the right part.
    Last edited by Sleepyeyes; 09-11-2018 at 04:31 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sleepyeyes For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (01-01-2022),inuvik (09-11-2018)

Main Filter (basically a screen for big chunks, have to drop the pan to get too) - 2824A017

I have a screen filter from the dealer. The Mitsubishi part number on the box is: 2824A021 There is a Jatco part number on the box as well:3172804X0BJM

Wonder why the 2 different part numbers?
    Last edited by Fummins; 09-11-2018 at 07:48 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I have a screen filter from the dealer. The Mitsubishi part number on the box is: 2824A021 There is a Jatco part number on the box as well:3172804X0BJM

Wonder why the 2 different part numbers?
    Hmmm...I'm curious as well. Perhaps every time Jatco sells this transmission for a vehicle there is a new part listing?
    Or I might have the wrong part number, though searching on google it seems to be the right part for this transmission.

Way back when I used to wrench on CH-53E's we ran into these part # issues all the time on parts that were reused from the "D" models. Jatco sells the same transmission across different manufactures on vehicles where most owners will not go to the same maintenance lengths as us.

In an effort to find out exactly I'm sending some emails to online stores that sell JF015E parts. Hopefully this doesn't result in generic emails. (I figured if I email Mitsubishi or Jatco I will get nowhere)

I think you got the right number. I'm not sure why there are different #'s? Maybe changed the part number for 17' or 18'?

And cool, my dad has been working on smaller 212's and 206's for many moons.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got in contact with CVT Parts Limited, they have a complete filter w/gasket set and will ship worldwide (sku: NCVT15OSK01). With shipping to the US it is ~$100 but this could be a real option for people who can't get the right parts from their dealer!

And cool, my dad has been working on smaller 212's and 206's for many moons.
    Awwww
    Bell makes such cute RC Helicopters

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sleepyeyes For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-12-2018)