Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Mirage needs a new blower motor, but auto shop can't find one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    I'm not sure your automatic climate control uses a traditional blower motor resistor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

How exotic. Here's a mirage one Attachment 12615

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    How exotic. Here's a mirage one Attachment 12615
    Awesome. It's good to know something in this silly car works without relying on a computer.

I'm putting my money on a bad blower motor, providing he has 12v at the wiring but the resistor is always a possibility.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Luckily, the used blower motor I ordered also comes with the resistor.

I highly doubt it's the resistor, though. I had the resister go out in my previous car (2004 Mustang), and the symptoms were different. Basically, the A/C would only work on the highest speed setting. If I lowered the setting, no air would blow through.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's not a simple resistor. The service manual identifies that as a power transistor - a solid-state, computer controlled device.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Here is what I found in the service manual:

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage Service Manual

Group 55B: AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING

INSPECTION PROCEDURE 3: The blower does not work

COMMENTS ON TROUBLE SYMPTOM
    If the blower motor does not operate, the blower motor circuit system may be defective.

PROBABLE CAUSES
    •Malfunction of the blower motor
    •Malfunction of the power transistor
    •Malfunction of the auto A/C controller assembly (A/C-ECU).
    •Damaged wiring harness or connectors

INSPECTION PROCEDURE 4: The blower air volume cannot be changed

COMMENTS ON TROUBLE SYMPTOM
    If air volume cannot be adjusted by using the blower control, the A/C control panel, the auto A/C controller assembly (A/C-ECU) or the power transistor may be faulty.

PROBABLE CAUSES
    •Malfunction of the A/C control panel
    •Malfunction of the power transistor
    •Damaged wiring harness or connectors
    •Malfunction of the auto A/C controller assembly (A/C-ECU)
    Automatic climate control cars have more than three speeds for the blower. This is accomplished by using a power transistor (thus the big heat sink.) Mirages without the automatic climate controls likely use an ordinary resistor.

By replacing both the blower motor and the power transistor, we won't know which is causing your problem. Replacing one at a time will help identify the cause of the problem.

Another forum member reported similar symptoms almost two years ago. Unfortunately, we don't know the outcome. Please read through the thread linked in my quote for more details.

It would be good to know the cause of this failure.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's not a simple resistor. The service manual identifies that as a power transistor - a solid-state, computer controlled device.

Automatic climate control cars have more than three speeds for the blower. This is accomplished by using a power transistor (thus the big heat sink.) Mirages without the automatic climate controls likely use an ordinary resistor.

By replacing both the blower motor and the power transistor, we won't know which is causing your problem. Replacing one at a time will help identify the cause of the problem.

Another forum member reported similar symptoms almost two years ago. Unfortunately, we don't know the outcome. Please read through the thread linked in my quote for more details.

It would be good to know the cause of this failure.
    Good to know. Just read through that thread. The symptoms are about 90% the same. The only difference is that the A/C never switched speeds on its own. It would always go the speed we set it to on the control—except when it wasn't coming on at all, of course.

Sounds like the consensus in that other thread was that it was a faulty blower motor. It's too bad the guy (or gal) never came back to respond.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Alright, update. I put in the "new" blower motor I got from eBay, and ... the A/C works again! Hallelujah! Hopefully it *stays* working.

I'll keep the "new" resistor/transistor on hand in case the issue repeats itself somewhere down the line. It looks like it just takes a couple of removed screws to replace the transistor, as well.

Thanks for everyone's help!

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tbird89 For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-16-2018),Daox (09-15-2018),Eggman (09-16-2018),MetroMPG (09-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Great to hear you got it resolved.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for sharing your results, it's much appreciated.

I wonder what happened to your old blower motor. Does it spin freely? Is there any chance you could disassemble and post some pictures?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for sharing your results, it's much appreciated.

I wonder what happened to your old blower motor. Does it spin freely? Is there any chance you could disassemble and post some pictures?
    It did spin freely when I spun it by hand. I ended up just throwing it away, since I didn't have anywhere to store it.