Thread: Same key 2 different cars.

Same key 2 different cars.

I just went to pull a car inside. Put the key in the ignition and it wouldn't start. The dash lights came on but that's all that happened. I eventually realized I was using the key for the wrong car. I thought the ignition tumbler may have been worn but the key fit perfectly in the door lock as well. The key's aren't just similar they are cut exactly the same. I wonder how many other cars share the same key?

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Locks are like that. There's only so many positions for every pin or wafer. It makes sense that some combinations get used more than once but the odds are pretty slim that it happens within your fleet.

Seems you're lucky. You should play the lottery.
    Last edited by Eggman; 09-11-2018 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The key's aren't just similar they are cut exactly the same. I wonder how many other cars share the same key?
    Since you have access to more Mirages than the average guy, it would be interesting to know if this is an odd coincidence or quite common?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Even if they are keyed the same each car has it’s individual transponder code which is why it wouldn’t start.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Even if they are keyed the same each car has it’s individual transponder code which is why it wouldn’t start.
    That isn't why I asked at all. All newer cars pretty much have transponder codes.

If keys are similar, we could access each other cars. I assume even push button start models have back up key entry. It would make me think twice about leaving valuable items in the car!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That isn't why I asked at all. All newer cars pretty much have transponder codes.

If keys are similar, we could access each other cars. I assume even push button start models have back up key entry. It would make me think twice about leaving valuable items in the car!
    I’m not sure how many different key cutting combinations Mitsubishi uses. I don’t normally lock my car too often.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just went to pull a car inside. Put the key in the ignition and it wouldn't start. The dash lights came on but that's all that happened. I eventually realized I was using the key for the wrong car. I thought the ignition tumbler may have been worn but the key fit perfectly in the door lock as well. The key's aren't just similar they are cut exactly the same. I wonder how many other cars share the same key?
    I bet its a lot. And even if not, I bet they are similar enough that they could work in other doors at least. I remember back in college, I figured out that with a properly worn key, I could get into just about every 88-98 Chevrolet/GMC pickup on campus. Friends only of course.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)