Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heater off, and it heats the car!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    But if i bypass it will it not cause for an overheat?
    That's what your radiator is for.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (11-16-2020)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    But if i bypass it will it not cause for an overheat? since i think the coolant runs through it to dissipate the heat but only inside the cabin.
    It will not cause overheat!
    Should you do anything to the cooling system, maybe bypass the heater core or something else, make sure you have the correct coolant in correct concentration, and purge it to make sure there is no air in the system.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (11-16-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Put one of these in & you can turn it on & off as needed...
    https://www.mcmaster.com/flow-valves...ing-valves-10/
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    I did a search but didn't see the following mentioned. If you leave your HVAC system OFF but in the FRESH air position and drive around air will drizzle in even with the fan/HVAC system off. All things being equal, if you then switch to RECIRC mode, air will not drizzle in. Bear in mind that windows will fog easier in RECIRC mode.

At least this is the way it is with most cars. So if the inside is warming up, do 3 things (other than turning on the A/C). Turn the temp all the way to cool, and switch to RECIRC and turn the HVAC off. This will stop the cabin from warming up (via outside air drizzling in while increasing in temp) without having to do this bypass. The greenhouse effect will have an impact too. But on a cool and/or cloudy day, not really.

Back when I was first driving my first car, my fan busted and wouldn't work. Rather than fixing it (because I was in college and had no money), in the winter, I would put it on FRESH and turn the heat up and it would indeed warm the inside of the cabin ... as long as the car was moving (even with no fan). Even with the HVAC off, if the heat is turned up, the heater core will receive warm / hot coolant. And FRESH mode air will drizzle in when the car was moving. In hot GA summers I would keep the temp set on cool, put in RECIRC to stop any air coming through the vents, then roll down the A/C (both windows).

We had a term for this condition (air bleeding in on FRESH mode) when I was in the automotive (engineering) world. But I forget what it was called.

Another interesting thing you can do is: Turn your cars HVAC system on full blast fan, on FRESH mode, close all the windows, get out of the car, close all doors and find where the air is vented out of the car. My old 84 Toyota Celica GT had these cool-arse louvers on the C-Pillars (outside) and the air was vented there. Easily felt. Then get back in, change 1 thing, switch it to RECIRC. Get back out, close everything up and go to where it was just venting the air out ... you will not feel the air escaping on RECIRC mode.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Basic (11-16-2020),CROSSBOLT (01-10-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I did a search but didn't see the following mentioned. If you leave your HVAC system OFF but in the FRESH air position and drive around air will drizzle in even with the fan/HVAC system off. All things being equal, if you then switch to RECIRC mode, air will not drizzle in. Bear in mind that windows will fog easier in RECIRC mode.
    I created a youtube video that describes the functionality of our blend door, i discovered this advice is incorrect. Putting the HVAC in recirc mode does not block off the outside air vent. Assuming fan is off, putting the blend door into Fresh Outside air mode actually lets in less outside air as the blower motorand ac condenser will resist the flow of air. pretty ironic i know. The main reason you dont feel the outside air when in recirc mode is because the air is let in behind the glove box instead of from the vents. Im surprised no ones modded the blend door to block off the fresh air when they use the AC. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh7Umi-J9mk

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not following what you're saying, but it sounds wrong. FRESH mode lets in outside air and vents out cabin air to outside. The hvac system does not control the vent to the outside. It's a passive vent. RECIRC closes a vent on the hvac system on the front bulkhead / firewall area that was pulling in outside air, and just circulates the air within the car. These are the facts.

Whatever vent it is that opens or closes for FRESH or RECIRC is not 100% effective in blocking off air direction in either mode. But it's probably 95% effective or better (just a guess).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm not following what you're saying, but it sounds wrong. FRESH mode lets in outside air and vents out cabin air to outside. The hvac system does not control the vent to the outside. It's a passive vent. RECIRC closes a vent on the hvac system on the front bulkhead / firewall area that was pulling in outside air, and just circulates the air within the car. These are the facts.
    RECIRC does NOT block off the outside vent at all. it blocks 0% of the outside vent. Heres a screenshot from my youtube video where i describe this phenomena. Name:  Screen Shot 2022-01-10 at 10.51.32 AM.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  91.3 KB As you can see, the system is currently in recirc but the outside vent is 0% blocked. putting the system into "fresh" mode with the fan OFF would reduce the amount of outside air getting in as that air would now have to go around the blower motor. Id highly recommend watching the video i made, heres a link that takes you to the exact time i explain this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh7Umi-J9mk&t=319s
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Don't you suppose there's some inside door, that can't be seen, changing position? I haven't watched the video as yet. But I will later.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Don't you suppose there's some inside door, that can't be seen, changing position? I haven't watched the video as yet. But I will later.
    Thats a great question, I have the Poverty edition, the control for me is a physical cable that goes directly to this door. Its highly unlikely there is an additional door that i cannot see.
    please consider checking out my Mirage related youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6c...IEViRFw/videos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Recirc ALWAYS blocks off outside air. The back of the door blocks off the passage from outside into the heater plenum. You can see the outside to inside opening for a second just as you're moving it from outside to recirc. Go back to your car & move it REALLYYY slowly & look up into the opening & you'll see the passage. It's right above the letter "A" in the screen shot you posted... Recirc always blocks off outside air. That's also called "Max AC in the summer. It recirculates the already cooled inside air as it's already gone thru the evaporator once to be cooled, so it will get even cooler the next time..

I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-10-2022)