Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heater off, and it heats the car!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I'm saying the air coming inside is blowing at 3.5°C = 6°F hotter into the cabin than it is outside!
    This still doesn't sound like a problem to me. It seems completely normal. I would expect the air temp to have a slight increase.

If you told us the air temp from the vent was 50°F warmer than the outside air (with the heat off), then I would think there's a problem. I'll check mine this weekend.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    This still doesn't sound like a problem to me.
    It does to me. 3.5°C can be the difference between AC on or off. And so it has an impact on the mileage (and AC wear, and ...)

I agree that it's inevitable that the air will be a bit warmer due to internal friction in the air channels, but 3.5 degree is way to much.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Thanks for posting these details, foama.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    @foama: Is it air, which is flowing through your bypass, or some fluid?

The bypass is for the cooling fluid.
    The hot cooling fluid does not enter the heater assy with the bypass in place, and so it is cooler inside the cabin.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey foama, what is that black plastic box mounted on your firewall just above and beyond the heater hoses in your picture?
    It is the charcoal canister. The picture was taken from the right hand side looking horizontally to the left.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    It is the charcoal canister. The picture was taken from the right hand side looking horizontally to the left.
    Interesting. I'm pretty sure our design in North America has the vapor absorber located under the fuel tank. That mount located on the firewall is unused here.

Refer to this thread: Empty Support on Firewall?

I apologize for the off-topic discussion.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey foama, what is that black plastic box mounted on your firewall just above and beyond the heater hoses in your picture?
    Its the charcoal canister. That other picture was taken from the right, the one below is from the drivers (left) side

Name:  charcoal canister Europeen.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  91.9 KB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-17-2018)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Hey guys,

For tropical countries, is it beneficial to bypass this heater core?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    If you never need the heater, you could bypass it as in post #1, especially if you live in the tropics.

To check if it gives unwanted heat, you could put a thermometer in a ventilation outlet and then outside the window, and check if comes hotter from the ventilation outlet.

If the heater heats the cabin a few degrees even when its turned all the way off, and although the flap is fully closed, it would be beneficial in the tropics to permanently install a bypass. See post #1.
    Last edited by foama; 11-15-2020 at 08:42 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (11-15-2020)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    If you never need the heater, you could bypass it as in post #1, especially if you live in the tropics.

To check if it gives unwanted heat, you could put a thermometer in a ventilation outlet and then outside the window, and check if comes hotter from the ventilation outlet.

If the heater heats the cabin a few degrees even when its turned all the way off, and although the flap is fully closed, it would be beneficial in the tropics to permanently install a bypass. See post #1.
    But if i bypass it will it not cause for an overheat? since i think the coolant runs through it to dissipate the heat but only inside the cabin.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)