Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 GLS Remote Key

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
    Then I have the FAST system. So does that mean no locksmith can duplicate keys of this type?
    If you are talking about the emergency key inside the FAST remote that only unlocks the door in case of a dead battery. That is just a standard key that could be duplicated but has nothing to do with starting the car. The FAST system is completely transponder dependent and operation of the car is “keyless”. Only a dealer can program the system to recognize additional transponders “keys” to unlock, lock and start the car. The standard system which uses a physical key to start the car also has a transponder in them but you can program additional keys (with transponders in them) provided you have both OEM keys. The procedure is outlined in the owner’s manual.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    If you are talking about the emergency key inside the FAST remote that only unlocks the door in case of a dead battery. That is just a standard key that could be duplicated but has nothing to do with starting the car. The FAST system is completely transponder dependent and operation of the car is “keyless”. Only a dealer can program the system to recognize additional transponders “keys” to unlock, lock and start the car. The standard system which uses a physical key to start the car also has a transponder in them but you can program additional keys (with transponders in them) provided you have both OEM keys. The procedure is outlined in the owner’s manual.
    I see. So the programmers that you can buy are only applicable for key fobs that are for non-keyless systems, correct?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    I think the MUT-III programmer made by Bosch would do this for you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    We have a 2014 Mirage G4 GLS here in the Philippines. We lost the main keyless remote car key and are currently using the spare key (not keyless and is manually operated). The casa is quoting us a very expensive price just for the key which I guess is pretty normal! Is there a way to do this myself? Maybe buy a spare RF key and the software needed to achieve this as long as it's a cheaper alternative?
    I am going to ask for clarification, because I feel this thread has gone in different directions. Using my owner’s manual for the Mirage in the U.S., Mitsubishi identifies 3 types of keys.

Type 1
    1st key with electronic immobilizer
    2nd key with electronic immobilizer
    Key number plate

The type 1 option has no remotes to open/lock the doors of your Mirage. The electronic immobilizer is strictly an anti-theft device embedded in the key. I don’t think the type 1 option is used in the U.S., because I have a base model Mirage that has the type 2 keys.

Type 2
    1st key with electronic immobilizer & keyless entry system
    2nd key with electronic immobilizer & keyless entry system
    key number plate

My 2017 Mirage ES (base model) came with two of these type 2 keys.

Type 3
    1st F.A.S.T.-key with with electronic immobilizer & keyless entry system
    2nd F.A.S.T.-key with with electronic immobilizer & keyless entry system
    one emergency key is inserted in each of the F.A.S.T.-keys
    key number plate

Your original question makes it seem like you were given one type 2 key & one type 1 key. You lost your one type 2 key, and you are now using your one type 1 key. Thus, you don’t have the ability to open/lock your doors with a remote. Is this correct?

In the U.S., I don’t think a type 1 key even exists. You are either given two type 2 or two type 3 keys.

According to the owner’s manual in the U.S., I could make up to 8 extra keys (provided I have the two originals). I assume those 8 extra keys would be like the type 1 keys. Let’s say I cut & programmed 5 extra keys for family members. They could unlock the car manually with these keys & drive off with the car. My guess is the keyless entry is a separate issue that can only be taken care of by the dealer.

Your owner’s manual & keys may be different than ours. I am just trying to clarify all this. Your original question may have nothing to do with the F.A.S.T.-key.

Sadly, it takes over 20 pages in the owner’s manual to explain the variety of key options for this car. I find that rather silly.

Type 1 & 2 keys can manually unlock the driver's door. A type 3 emergency key unlocks the passenger door.

Please clarify your issue for us! In the end, the dealer may be your only option.
    Last edited by Mark; 09-15-2018 at 01:55 AM.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Sorry for the super overdue reply. The emergency key that I have only unlocks the passenger side door. There'a not even a key hole on the driver side door. Does that tell you I have a FAST key?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry for the super overdue reply. The emergency key that I have only unlocks the passenger side door. There'a not even a key hole on the driver side door. Does that tell you I have a FAST key?
    Yes it does.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    So if I buy the remote off of ebay with the same part number as the original, will anyone be able to program it?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    So if I buy the remote off of ebay with the same part number as the original, will anyone be able to program it?
    Again, you may be the first on this forum to find out as I don't recall if it's ever been reported or documented here. You'll have to let us know how it goes.

Personally, I wouldn't take a chance on an eBay special. I would go through the dealer for a replacement / extra key for my pushbutton start F.A.S.T. key Mirage.

Sometimes it's hard to know when to cut corners to save some money. Something like getting another key can be more hassle and expense than it's worth.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don’t think a F.A.S.T. key can be reprogrammed. It is abled to be coded once, so it has to be a new one.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I thought keys off of ebay are new ones?