Thread: Do led bulbs affect garage door opener? Door won't close with remote. (Solved!)

Do led bulbs affect garage door opener? Door won't close with remote. (Solved!)

This is pretty random...
    I just moved to a new house and most of the lights throughout the place have already been switched over to led bulbs except for the ones inside the garage. I started switching over the garage ones the other day and figured I'd replace the ones inside the garage door opener as well. I didn't realize it until today that that's when I started having problems with the remotes for the opener. I can open it fine in the truck or car but it won't close using the remote or the factory opener buttons in the truck.

Has anyone else ran into this? I'm assuming the lights are giving off interference when they're on. I had no idea they did that until I was bored and actually read a warning label on one of the led boxes the other day. I'll tear those bulbs out of there tonight and post back if the remotes start working again.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

craigq (09-14-2018),ThunderG (09-15-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Yeah, this isn't uncommon. The LED and CFL bulbs create electrical noise that messes with the signal from the remote.

https://ecorenovator.org/forum/light...ner-range.html

https://ecorenovator.org/forum/light...or-opener.html
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

craigq (09-14-2018),Fummins (09-14-2018)

Damn technology, nothings perfect.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Fummins you just solved my problem. I’m an idiot, never put it together until you just mentioned it.
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to craigq For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-14-2018)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    This very serious problem is inherant to all switched-mode power supplies, and practically all electronic equipment is affected. We engineers and ham radio operators refer to Electro Magnetic Interference (EMI) as "man-made noise".

Manufacturers of cheaply built electronics save money where they can, and regularly do so by omitting legally-required RF suppression components, such as capacitors and inductivities. Perhaps one in a thousand pieces of Asian made equipment might comply with EMI regulations. That saves manufacturers maybe less than one cent for each unit. Although this is against all kinds of laws and regulations, they don't care because they get away with it! The enforcing authorities are totally overwhelmed by floods of incoming electronic trash and do practically nothing.

When we had a planned AC power switch off in this area, the man-made noise floor dropped by 32dB. This equates to about a 40000-fold increase of man-made radio-frequency noise (EMI) due to switched mode electronics. Those selfish idiots who knowingly and intentionally put such illegal rubbish on the market should be put in jail and the keys thrown away.

Examples:
    In the car I can listen to the BBC on 198kHz long wave throughout entire Europe, but approaching built-up areas man-made noise totally ruins reception.
    Some areas in cities already have such heavy levels of man-made noise, that mobile phones, WiFi and digital TV is affected. AM reception up to 30MHz has become practically impossible there.
    Last edited by foama; 09-17-2018 at 01:45 PM.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-17-2018),inuvik (09-17-2018),MetroMPG (09-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Interesting!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

I pulled the bulbs out when I got home and it works fine now, as expected. I had some cheapo amazon branded bulbs in there.
    Mirage videos:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-17-2018)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I pulled the bulbs out when I got home and it works fine now, as expected. I had some cheapo amazon branded bulbs in there.
    I doubt they would be interested if you rightfully complained about that trash. They probably are still selling the same stuff today...

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    I doubt they would be interested if you rightfully complained about that trash. They probably are still selling the same stuff today...
    Noted...

Mirage videos: