Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I would buy another

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

I would buy another

I was on the fence for a long time before buying my Mirage (2014 model purchased new in Feb 2015). I cross-shopped several cars (Honda Fit most seriously, Jeep Wrangler less seriously, Subaru Crosstrek), and considered new and used. Ultimately the unbeatable value (price and operating costs), simplicity (no direct injection, turbo, high compression or unproven tech), efficiency (I don't like pollution) and warranty combined to push me over the edge.

Hopefully I'll keep this car for several more years. Sometimes, though, I think about what I would replace it with should I need to sooner. Presuming that the car itself didn't fail (but, for example, it was written off in an accident or stolen), I'm pretty sure I'd buy another used Mirage. They depreciate quite a lot, but seem very reliable.

How about you all? Would you replace a Mirage with another, or would you prefer something else?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

Angrybeaver (09-16-2018),Cobrajet (09-16-2018),craigq (09-15-2018),Daox (09-15-2018),MetroMPG (09-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I’d definitely buy another. I think I would purchase a base G4 for the 5 speed. Standard equipment has everything I want.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-16-2018)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    i did replace a Mirage with another, first one was written off

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam - UK For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (09-16-2018),MetroMPG (09-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I bought my Mirage new as a door-to-door delivery 'work car'. When I bought it, I figured I'd consider buying a new one when this one hit 100,000 miles, as I assumed the torture I was about to put it through would begin to manifest itself and the car would start to nickel-and-dime me to death.

But this car hasn't given me one problem in 102,000 miles. Although the fuel gauge is beginning to act a little wonky. I plan to drive it until it is no longer driveable (don't want to use the word 'a******t' and put the voodoo on myself). Then will go right out and buy another new one.

Unless Mitsubishi's new Nissan overlords make the Mirage into some God-forsaken, unreliable, Renault-sourced mess that gets 30 mpg. Then I may have to buy used!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Unless Mitsubishi's new Nissan overlords make the Mirage into some God-forsaken, unreliable, Renault-sourced mess that gets 30 mpg. Then I may have to buy used!
    lol...

If this car vanished in thin air, I would probably another one or get a Suzuki Celerio.
    I say that even though the crappy, sticky steering gear had to be reworked to reduce the "stickiness" to make it acceptable, and although the very uncomfortable driver seat is close to torture.
    I needed physiotherapy for my wrists because of the steering, but reworking the steering gear (polishing the rack) for lower "drag"-torque helped reduce the pain a lot.
    If I didn't do regular exercise for my back, I probably couldn't stand the seat torture without permanent injury. Seriously.

On the other hand, it is highly reliable and low cost.
    Last edited by foama; 09-16-2018 at 12:27 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My next big vehicle purchase will be a nice crew cab pickup truck as I have a need for one, and it will be the vehicle of choice as my kids continue to get bigger, but I honestly think I will pick up super cheap used ones of these for the rest of my life to use as my daily driver, knockaround cars. As Fummins has shown us with his insight into the courier world, they are super tough and relatively easy to work on, and I don't see them getting anything but cheaper. I could see myself having my original one, plus one or two spares for sure. I definitely don't personally ever see myself buying another one new though. Way too cheap used imho...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-16-2018)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's been just over a year with our Mirage (and a tick over 6,000 miles). At this point, I would definitely buy another one. It's been trouble-free, efficient, and didn't cost an arm and a leg. I love this little car.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-16-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    If my 2017 Mirage ES (manual) were suddenly gone, I would start looking for another immediately. Having said that, I wouldn’t spend more than $10,000-11,000 for a new one. I'd rather buy a slightly used 2017 Mirage (manual) for under $10,000.

I bought a Mirage, because it's affordable, reliable, & economical. Over time, the Mirage has sort of grown on me. The Mirage is a little unique & has a charm of its own!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-16-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Two years later and I'd still buy another Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Two years later and I'd still buy another Mirage.
    5-speed or CVT??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)