Thread: Cheap Nexen 175/65r14 tires

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Cheap Nexen 175/65r14 tires

$21.96 each. I ordered a set.

https://www.giga-tires.com/175-65-14...ecode/15011NXK

Last edited by Angrybeaver; 09-16-2018 at 09:54 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Angrybeaver For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-16-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Man, that's cheap!

Your link has a few extra characters at the end.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fixed it!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's scary. I made the mistake of running a set of cheap Primewell tires on the Delorean. They were made in China and the tread actually separated from the tire while I was on interstate. Could have killed me.

Are you really willing to trust a $22 tire with your life?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    That's scary. I made the mistake of running a set of cheap Primewell tires on the Delorean. They were made in China and the tread actually separated from the tire while I was on interstate. Could have killed me.

Are you really willing to trust a $22 tire with your life?
    You gotta wonder at that price. But Nexen is a South Korean manufacturer and is a OEM tire for some Hyundai models. I’ve never owned any Nexens so I have no experience with them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm thinking that the N'priz AH5 is a discontinued model, that's why they're marked down at a lot places. I'm assuming they're made in South Korea just like Hankook and Kumho, so yes I'm willing to take a chance. I'll be happy if I can get two years out of them.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybeaver View Post
    I would look at these as being $32.75/tire, because I can't get them to my home for $21.96/tire. Even with shipping added in, that is still a very good price. Many of our tires are made elsewhere, & several respectable tire brands come from Korea.

I appreciate everyone sharing his or her experience with tires, especially after s/he have accumulated 30,000 or more miles on them. I don't equate the quality of the tire by cost alone. The Dunlop Enasave tires are a prime example of that. You are buying an entire set of tires for about the price of one Enasave tire. I don't mind using up my Enasave tires, but I am not overly impressed by them. I haven't had a flat tire on the road in over 30 years, but I did have an Enasave sidewall blow out a month or so ago. Even if Dunlop Enasave tires were half price, my money would probably go elsewhere.

I will add that I have had several tires pick up nails/screws over the years that developed slow leaks. I've run tires with plugs in them for years without issue. Since the mid-1980's, the Dunlop Enasave is the only tire that totally failed on the road for me.

I see nothing wrong with trying the Nexen tires at all. I would have more faith in them than the factory Dunlop tires. The Nexen have a 50,000 mile warranty listed, which is not something you see with many cheaper tires. The expensive Dunlop Enasave tires don't even list a mileage warranty.

I also see where stevedmc is coming from. He's been very happy with Falken tires, which aren't really a lot more money when you include shipping. He's racked up some high miles on tires that can be found for under $50/tire. Thus, I take note of that, too.

It's really nice when people share their experiences on this forum. I look forward to your future opinion of the Nexen tires. Tires don't last forever. Thus, replacing them is something we all have to do.

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've done cheap no-name tires before—never again. The compound was so hard, I'm fairly certain they were made from recycled bowling balls.

Nexen, however, is a known entity. I think you probably found a smokin' deal.

Oh, and just so you know, they are an OE supplier to multiple brands including one extremely fast Mopar:

http://www.tractionnews.com/nexen-ti...scat-pack-132/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Have you installed these tires yet Angry Beaver? I'd love to hear your thoughts on them.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Have you installed these tires yet Angry Beaver? I'd love to hear your thoughts on them.
    Not yet, probably at the end of the month. I'm trying to save them for when it gets colder.

They arrived in two days, and look really nice. They are made in South Korea with a manufacture date of the 11th week of 2018. I hope they're a decent tire for the winter weather.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Angrybeaver For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-15-2018)