Thread: Anyone ever replace the windshield fluid reservoir?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Anyone ever replace the windshield fluid reservoir?

Thanks to everyone's help on fixing my AC/blower motor! There's another fix I want to get done that is more of an inconvenience than a dire need.

Several months ago, we turned into our garage too tight and hit the right corner (passenger side) of the front hood/bumper on the side of the garage. The only result was some cosmetic damage—and some kind of damage to the windshield fluid reservoir. When we try to add fluid to the reservoir, it just pours right out through the bottom of the car. My mechanic thinks it's cracked.

I'd love to get in there and replace the reservoir, but it looks complicated, like it's "buried" underneath several other components. I'm not sure if it's worth taking the whole engine apart just so we can conveniently clean our windshields.

Has anyone replaced this part before, or does anyone know exactly what would go into replacing it?

Just pull the bumper cover off. It's relatively easy. Once it's out of the way you can see what you're doing. There's a bunch of 10mm bolts along the top of the rad support, 2-12 mm bolts on the bottom corners of the rad support, 2 10mm bolts in the lower grille area, and a bunch of clips along the wheel wells where it meets the bumper and along the bottom edge where the splatter shield thing and bumper meet the bottom of rad support. There is one clip(on each side) that's hard to see pointing straight up at the top rearmost corner of the bumper near the headlight. Once you have all the bolts and clips removed grab the upper rear corner(below headlight/wheel well) of the bumper and pull away from the car. Just jerk on it and it'll come. Do it to both sides and the cover will fall off.

I think I just made it sound harder than it is. Should only take 5-10 mins, longer if you don't have a decent clip removal tool.

EDIT: I forgot there are 2 more bolts (10mm) that you get to from the lower grille opening, need an extension to get to them.
    Last edited by Fummins; 09-17-2018 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Forgot a step

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Loren (09-17-2018),MetroMPG (09-17-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My experience with the washer reservoir is that the hose is pretty easy to come off (actually the pump pulls out of a snap in indentation on the side of the reservoir). Once the reservoir is exposed I would bet that all you need to do is snap the pump back into the indentation.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-18-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had this same problem (no damage though) ... the bottom of my pump had blown out completely. Turn your wheels all the way to the left ... use a screwdriver to pop off the snap in plastic fasteners that hold on the plastic that protects the engine from the wheel well. You'll be able to pull the plastic back now, and get a good look right at the pump for the reservoir goes in, it's likely leaking here. My fluid was pouring right though too. I had to replace the pump, but it's back in working order now.