Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New brake disc and pads next service at +_ 28K on 2014 CVT

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

New brake disc and pads next service at +_ 28K on 2014 CVT

My CVT from 2014, model 2015, had this week the yearly maintenance service turn.

I currently have 23000K on the counter and next service will be around 28000K. I am driving 90% highway and mostly 1 or 2 times a week.

I got a message on the bill for next service (next year) to replace brake disk and pads. Are these wearing out so fast?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage CVT 1.2 automatic: 39.5 mpg (US) ... 16.8 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 47.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ~17,400 miles does seem early for brake work.

It doesn't seem like you should have to replace the rotors on the first brake job either.

Perhaps the OEM brake parts are just that bad?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToXiQ View Post
    My CVT from 2014, model 2015, had this week the yearly maintenance service turn.

I currently have 23000K on the counter and next service will be around 28000K. I am driving 90% highway and mostly 1 or 2 times a week.

I got a message on the bill for next service (next year) to replace brake disk and pads. Are these wearing out so fast?
    More than likely you don't need brakes. Most people are getting far more miles from the OEM brakes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    ~17,400 miles does seem early for brake work.

It doesn't seem like you should have to replace the rotors on the first brake job either.

Perhaps the OEM brake parts are just that bad?
    I change my brake pads every 100k miles and there is about 50% meat left on them each time. I change/turn rotors every 200k miles.

I haven't touched my rear drum brakes yet. I'm thinking about inspecting them in the next month or so just because my car has 217k miles.

Either someone is heavy on their brakes or they have stuck calipers if they need new brakes at 17k miles.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...(Garage-entry)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Are you able to inspect your brakes yourself? If not perhaps you could at least get a second opinion.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (09-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    ...driving 90% highway
    ...next service will be around 28000K.
    ...got a message on the bill for next service to replace brake disk and pads.
    The service writer is probably putting future suggested services on your paperwork based on typical mileage patterns they see...not based on actually examining your brakes. His job is to sell you stuff.

Typical wear patterns don't fit your driving since you are doing 90% freeway driving. Unless you are unusually hard on your brakes, it's hard to imagine you are anywhere near neading them serviced.

I do 60% freeway driving myself. When I checked my front brakes at 50,000 miles, the pads had plenty of material and the rotors barely looked scratched. Keep in mind I drive very easily. Here's a photo...

Name:  50K_Brake5.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  55.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I haven't touched my rear drum brakes yet.
    I'm thinking about inspecting them in the next month or so just because my car has 217k miles.
    Let us know if you do. The brake shoes on these cars have the least amount of friction material I've ever seen on a brake shoe.

My rear brakes are in the photo below (on the left). This is with 0 miles on the car...

Name:  drum.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  104.0 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I get notices from my dealership in my email box like this all the time.

"According to our records, your (MIRAGE ES 2015) may be due for the following services:

-(BRAKE SERVICE)
    -(25-POINT INSPECTION)
    -(COOLANT FLUSH)
    -(FETZER VALVE ADJUSTMENT)

Please call or email us at your earliest convenience to set up an appointment. Thank you for purchasing from Blah-Blah-Blah Mitsubishi of South Palookaville."

Of course, my car is already on it's fourth set of pads! I wouldn't call it a 'scam', but it's a shady practice meant to get you into the dealership...with your wallet.

If it even works 20% of the time it is worth sending the emails.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Thanks all for the reply's, I will remove a wheel within 2 weeks (not that much time to get it done sooner) to take a photo :-) When I can get my phone between wheel spokes it will be sooner. Also a seccond opnion is an option :-) I have a year to go before they want to replace them ;-)

Due to a change of job I only use the car during the weekend. I am an easy rider and not misuse the brakes :-) I drove cars that didn't have to replace brake discs within 13 years.

I looked in the service manual, and there is only mention of an inspection for brakes and discs. On the invoice it is printed and is touched with a blue marker to get attention.

I will come back with some photo's.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage CVT 1.2 automatic: 39.5 mpg (US) ... 16.8 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 47.4 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ToXiQ For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-22-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Thanks all for the reply's, I will remove a wheel within 2 weeks (not that much time to get it done sooner) to take a photo :-) When I can get my phone between wheel spokes it will be sooner. Also a seccond opnion is an option :-) I have a year to go before they want to replace them ;-)
    Hey ToXiQ, is it too early to ask for any updates?

I guess not it's only been a week.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)