Thread: First drive review Australian Mitsubishi Mirage

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

First drive review Australian Mitsubishi Mirage

A positive review of the Mirage from Australia.
    http://canberratimes.drive.com.au/mo...122-2d43a.html

Last edited by Daox; 01-22-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Haha, I can't help but laugh a bit at the article. The author doesn't seem to want to say the Mirage is going to be a great car for its segment even though he seems to know it. He still is obviously biased toward more luxurious vehicles. I guess at least he doesn't bash it like most car reviewers that seem to have zero insight into the target market.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Now that you mention "target market", I think Mitsubishi got this car spot on for their intended customer, i.e. first time car buyer in emerging markets and developing countries. That sounds exactly like me. I think the car is brilliant, and my fellow citizens who snapped up all the available stocks in just a month and those who are waiting up to three months on the wait list for this car probably agree.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Thinking about my own car, I saw a few interesting points from the article:

Extra sound-deadening in key areas, the addition of a front stabiliser bar on the suspension, and revised trim materials (including a welcome move to a beige/black two-tone on fascia and doors) all contribute to a much improved commuter car.
    But the Mirage is a much better vehicle to drive to the shops – and to have a crash in, thanks to six airbags and standard stability control.
    Compared to the one we Filipinos get here, Australians get the extra side and curtain airbags, additional noise insulation in the rear (a point that I raised in my own review on this forum), and stability control. We get the anti-roll bar on higher end GLS variant and the two-tone, black/beige interior is optional on the GLS (mine is all black).

The sound insulation and extra air bags may account for the additional 40kg on the Australian Mirages.

Spare is a space-saver, acceptable for a car destined to be used mainly in metro areas.
    Mine has a full-size 15" alloy for a spare; the GLX ones I've seen have a full-size 14" steelie. The manual does mention a space saver variant.

In this end of the market, cute apparently beats chic.
    So it is as well with this end of the market. The girls all think my car is cute (and at least one of them is considering getting one herself).

The engine, with its guttural throb reminiscent of the old three-cylinder Daihatsu Charade...
    My thoughts exactly. When I first drove the car I immediately thought, "Hey, this sounds like my old Charade!"

Last edited by Alpha_One; 01-23-2013 at 01:29 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 33.3 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 40.0 mpg (Imp)