Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bought a Kia Niro hybrid as 2nd car - blows my Mirage away

I found a couple high mileage hybrids for you. Don't know the service history but....

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ationFlag=true

Speaking of reliable cars, how long was delorean in business for again? I forget lol

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-26-2018),Tyrelirwin (09-26-2018)

Well, lots of taxi companies run hybrid fleets - they focus on cost per mile (including purchase/fuel/repairs/maint/sale).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (09-26-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    I bought a 2018 Kia Niro Hybrid for our second vehicle, and it blows my mighty Mirage away in every category: comfort, ammenities, economy, price...
    For over twice the price it should. It’s not an apple to apple comparison.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FloridaG4 For This Useful Post:

2of9 (09-26-2018),inuvik (09-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    This has been an interesting new thread to read/follow.

I see no need to trash Mitsubishi or KIA. When our daughters were born, my wife decided to be a stay home mom with them. Since we were both teachers, our income was instantly cut in half. Prior to the birth of our first daughter, we purchased two affordable small cars that would get through this time in our life.

These two cars were -
    1989 Plymouth Colt Wagon DL (this car was entirely Mitsubishi)
    1990 Ford Festiva (this car was designed by Mazda & built in Seoul, South Korea by KIA)

Both of these vehicles served us very well! I paid $5300 for the Festiva brand new, & I drove that car for 14 years. The Festiva defined basic transportation, & it is by the far the most dependable car I have ever owned.

Almost 30 years later - KIA & Hyundai are making some very nice vehicles that represent a good value. Likewise, Mitsubishi is doing the same.

I bought a Mirage because it was very affordable, economical, & reliable. If I could get brand new KIA Niro for under $10,000, I would surely consider it.

In my mind, the Mirage is a nice $10,000-12,000 sub-compact hatchback. The KIA Niro is a subcompact hybrid crossover (suv), which probably costs more (rightly so). Depending on what you want, these are both nice vehicles. I see no need to bash one at the expense of the other.

In 1990, I paid $5300 for a brand new Ford Festiva (KIA). I have absolutely no regrets with that purchase.
    In 2017, I paid $9299 for brand new Mirage. 10 years from now, I suspect I will be saying the same about the Mirage.

I have no brand loyalty. If I am in the market for a vehicle, I would start (in no particular order) with Toyota, Honda, KIA, Mitsubishi, & Hyundai. Having said that, I have never owned a Toyota (not sure how that happened) or a Hyundai. I think the Mirage is a unique little car, & that is what I like about it. I don't expect it to stack up to more expensive cars. If the Mirage evolves into a more expensive crossover some day, I would surely compare it to the KIA Niro. Personally, I hope that doesn't happen.
    Last edited by Mark; 09-26-2018 at 02:35 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (09-26-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Was going to say, for nearly 3 times the price of the Mirage, it better! haha.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post
    Was going to say, for nearly 3 times the price of the Mirage, it better! haha.
    The thing is, if you compare the BASE Mirage and BASE Niro, yes, the Mirage starts at like $10 and the Niro at $25. But to get some BASIC/necessary for Canada ammenities on the Mirage (cruise, auto, alloys, bluetooth, heated seats) it really jumps up in price (or did when I bought mine).

The Niro comes standard with all of those, plus backup camera (mandatory by law here now) and heated steering wheel. Plus some really functional storage space.

As for fuel-economy, my mirage has always averaged about 5.3L/100km the way I drive it.
    And the Niro has been averaging about 4.3L/100km (also the way I drive it: highway, 120km/h, longer trips).

So with a new Mirage GT coming in at $17K and the Niro at $25K, thats not an insurmountable difference to make up in fuel savings (gas is $1.30/L here) of almost $1,000/year (with the 70,000kms I drive per year).

A few other points:
    Mitsubishi went broke, and is owned by Nissan, so no real shade to be thrown at lowly Kia/Hyundai
    The Niro feels worlds better, and is much more comfortable, quieter, etc
    We put on 15,000kms in the first 3 months we had it, and it has performed admirably
    Dual clutch tranny as opposed to god-awful cvt

The one big disclaimer, though:
    There is so much more to go wrong on a hybrid, as opposed to our reliable little 3 cylinder!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tyrelirwin For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-14-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi went broke, and is owned by Nissan
    Just for the record, in fiscal 2016 operating income nosedived due to the fuel economy scandal but broke is hyperbole.

Name:  Screenshot 2018-09-26 at 12.35.44 PM.png
Views: 394
Size:  21.7 KB

Regarding ownership, in October 2016, Nissan Motor Co. Ltd completed the purchase of a 34% stake in the shares of Mitsubishi Motors, becoming the Company’s largest shareholder.

source: https://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/co...annual2017.pdf

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I bought a 2018 Kia Niro Hybrid for our second vehicle, and it blows my mighty Mirage away in every category: comfort, ammenities, economy, price...
    I am sure your KIA Niro is a very nice car, & you seem very happy with it. Thus, it's money well spent for you.

I am probably on this forum, because I would never spend $25,000 on a two-wheel drive car. I don't care if it was best car ever made since the production of the Model T. Likewise, there isn't anything that you could add to a Mirage that would make me spend more than $10,000-12,000 for one. Having said that, I really like the darn thing!

The Mirage is affordable, economical, simple, & reliable. Change any of those 4 traits, & I suddenly lose interest.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

Speaking of reliable cars, how long was delorean in business for again? I forget lol

Deloreans are pretty crappy cars. I won't argue with you there. But as crappy as they are, my car is 36 years old and is still very dependable.

In 36 years, virtually every Kia produced today will be at a scrap yard for metal if it hasn't already been parted out or destroyed.

My crappy Delorean will still be on the road in 36 years, providing I am still alive.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Deloreans are pretty crappy cars. I won't argue with you there. But as crappy as they are, my car is 36 years old and is still very dependable.

In 36 years, virtually every Kia produced today will be at a scrap yard for metal if it hasn't already been parted out or destroyed.

My crappy Delorean will still be on the road in 36 years, providing I am still alive.
    Buuuuut.... I have a 1968 Chrysler and it's in pretty good shape for a 50 year old car. By your logic, I can go buy a 2018 Chrysler 200 and expect it to still be roadworthy in 2068?

Obviously not.

It's one thing to say that 'they don't make em like they used to', but Kia has come a long way, baby!

Same with all the imports- they used to be motorbike-engine-powered turd-mobiles, and now they rule the industry.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)