Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swapping stock speakers - Add sound deadening/Dynamat first?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hey Crusher47 what Rockford Fosgate speakers did you install?

Pictures!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I installed my new aftermarket speakers I just bought some "sticky tiles" from Home Depot (The stuff people use on a bathroom floor) that where 68 cents each. You have to cut them up in the proper shape (cut each piece into 3 long triangles per door) and then they stick to the metal with the built in adhesive. Put duct tape over the edges just in case. Buy 5 pieces to be safe. (You probably only need 4 but buy an extra piece just in case.

Cheaper than dirt and they get the job done as far as sound dampening. I have never heard any "metal or tinny sounds, vibrations or echoes" coming from the metal doors afterwards. The sticky tiles (You could also use roofing tiles) are heavy enough to muffle the metal and prevent vibrations or tinny sounds.

Tinny = Tin + "eeeeeeeee"
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to fc321 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-14-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    When I installed my new aftermarket speakers I just bought some "sticky tiles" from Home Depot (The stuff people use on a bathroom floor) that where 68 cents each. You have to cut them up in the proper shape (cut each piece into 3 long triangles per door) and then they stick to the metal with the built in adhesive. Put duct tape over the edges just in case. Buy 5 pieces to be safe. (You probably only need 4 but buy an extra piece just in case.

Cheaper than dirt and they get the job done as far as sound dampening. I have never heard any "metal or tinny sounds, vibrations or echoes" coming from the metal doors afterwards. The sticky tiles (You could also use roofing tiles) are heavy enough to muffle the metal and prevent vibrations or tinny sounds.
    Great idea, and probably weigh less too. Any pictures?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hey Crusher47 what Rockford Fosgate speakers did you install?

Pictures!
    They were the R1's. Will post pics when I get home from work later.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    OK here are some pics. from the install....
    Speakers, wire kit, mounting rings, Dynamat...

Stock speaker... you can see the wire above (blue w/white clip), that is the clip that hooks up to the new wire for a clean install...

New speaker with wire/connector...

Close-up of how new wire is connected to new speaker, one side is wider than the other, very easy (note, you can see screw is higher than the mounting ring, I had to use shorter screws than what was provided with the speakers)

New speaker installed (I tucked the wire behind the speaker)...

Very easy install... if I can do it, ANYBODY can do it. Just take your time and use common sense. Having the right tools helps (i.e. panel pullers to remove door cards, etc.)