Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swapping stock speakers - Add sound deadening/Dynamat first?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Swapping stock speakers - Add sound deadening/Dynamat first?

Hey everyone,

I have owned my new Mirage for about 3 weeks now, one thing is for certain, the stock speakers are utter garbage. I went ahead and ordered 4 Rockford-Fosgate 6.5" speakers, the install rings that fit the doors and the Scosche cables to hopefully have a nice and clean install. I will try and take pics. before and after and post them here to help any future members looking to do the swap themselves.

My question is, would it be wise to add any sound deadening material or Dynamat in the doors behind the speakers during the install? Do you think it would help or would it just be a waste of time and money?

Thanks in advance!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    If you're going through the trouble of a speaker installation, I would at least do something like this: Dynamat Speaker Kit

My system is completely aftermarket. I didn't Dynamat the whole door...but I did have the installer use these Dynamat speaker kits on all 4 doors and I have excellent sound and no panel vibration. If you are even thinking about upgrading to a higher-power head unit, I would consider something like this to be mandatory.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^^^^^
    Thank you very much!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I believe some people have reported a reduction in sound quality when using the stock head unit and aftermarket speakers...particularly bass response. The stock deck simply doesn't put out enough power to drive them properly.

I'd upgrade your head unit first...if you haven't already.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I used this instead of dynamat. I would absolutely recommend it while you're already in the door panel. Whether or not you can hear a difference, you can certainly feel it every time you close the door. I used 18 sq ft for the 2 front doors and 1 rear door (left one rear door to compare), but if I were to do it again I'd start with 36 sq ft and be generous with it.

I didn't add any "soundproofing" materials, and I think road noise is one of the biggest factors for sound quality. I'm just not convinced that soundproofing is possible/worth the effort.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to anog For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (09-28-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I upgraded the head unit and speakers. I also put a powered sub in the trunk. I started off with the speakers and stock head unit. Definetly was better. Sounded nice with more bass but not much louder. Once I pit my Pioneer head unit it’s louder with more bass and sounds crisper especially with the built in equalizer. With the added sub in the trunk it’s even better. I can adjust the bass level by a knob near the center console. I didn’t put any sound deadening in the doors and don’t think I need it. I don’t get and vibration at all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'm not looking for opera house sound quality, especially since I listen to a lot of AM talk radio, just overall improvement to the sound quality that is already there. I actually like the head unit so I am reluctant to replace it, but if I have to in the future, I will if really needed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    In that case the stock speakers would serve just fine, and focus on sound deadening.

In my humble opinion.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I replaced all 4 speakers over the weekend. Sound quality is improved for sure. Not a night & day difference, but certainly more clearer than before, especially the highs. Listening to AM radio, it is MUCH less boomy and echo sounding. Using the Blue Tooth feature, before I had the volume maxed out, with the new speakers I don't have to turn up the radio as loud and get less distortion.

Also listening to regular music on FM or via USB stick, I do not have to turn the volume up as high either. I have not messed around with the fade, balance or treble & bass settings yet but overall, I would say replacing the speakers were worth the investment.

Thanks again for your replies and help, I appreciate it!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusher47 For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-11-2018)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    just as a reminder, we have a thread about replacing the stock spekers, and a few threads about noise dampening.

Thread: DIY: Front speaker replacement

Thread: How to do some noise dampening (adding adhesive tar/bitumen tiles)

Last edited by foama; 10-11-2018 at 06:23 PM.