Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: U.S.: Brutal review of the Mirage G4 CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Wow. Good thing this guy never drove a 2014-2015 Mirage before the improvements were made.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    For a $10-12k car, the Mirage is fantastic. For an $16-18k car... not so much.
    Exactly. I would love to see sales data on what most Mirages actually sell for. I wish they would just embrace the lower price point and be done with it. Nobody in their right mind is going to drop $18K on one of these things. My apologies to anyone reading this who actually did spend that much.

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    ...they really ought to be loaning out base model 5-speeds for media reviews. ONLY.
    Every time I read one of these reviews, the first thing I look for is what transmission does the car have. If it's a CVT, then I get ready for a literary beat-down.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-27-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Wow. Good thing this guy never drove a 2014-2015 Mirage before the improvements were made.

Exactly. I would love to see sales data on what most Mirages actually sell for. I wish they would just embrace the lower price point and be done with it. Nobody in their right mind is going to drop $18K on one of these things. My apologies to anyone reading this who actually did spend that much.
    After rebates I spent $14,900 on my SE. Not dirt cheap, but not that expensive for a new US car.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Every time I read one of these reviews, the first thing I look for is what transmission does the car have. If it's a CVT, then I get ready for a literary beat-down.
    Hey now, some of use actually like the CVT.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    ...some of use actually like the CVT.
    There's nothing wrong with a CVT. But most automotive reviewers tend to dislike them. They also tend to dislike cars without a lot of power. And cars that are not a good value.

But some marketing group is sitting in a conference room at corporate Mitsubishi thinking... "Here's what we'll do...let's give the press a loaded up $18K G4 with a CVT! They'll love it!"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Mitsubishi claims the Mirage can reach 37 miles per gallon between mixed city and highway driving; a claim that lies far from the 27 miles per gallon I averaged in 500 miles of mixed driving.”

This is highly unlikely. What the reviewer probably did was look at the “A” mpg value at the end of the time he had it not knowing that “A” resets itself after approximately 4 hours of non use. So probably started it up in the morning to return the car with a short trip and looked at the “A” reading before he turned it in and assumed that this was the mpg’s for the test period. Don’t ask me why some Mitsubishi engineer decided this was a good idea.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-28-2018),MetroMPG (09-28-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=MetroMPG;76719]Attachment 12763

• AC... has the blowing power equivalent to that of a broken desk fan
    • atrocious driving dynamics
    • small bumps and potholes become an ordeal

1. A/C in mine is fine. Better than in our Forester XT (second Forester with less than impressive A/C, both our 2015 and 2017 don’t feel like they’re worth the cash outlay)
    2. Drives like a go-kart what is your problem ? Short wheel base etc. Can feel pitchy but it’s a go-kart.
    3. Never drove a Golf R with 35 series 19” wheels have you ? Then you’d see how much an ordeal bumps become. Worrying about ruining a $400 wheel and $400 tire on Ottawa streets...

I have a dislike of car “reviewers”. Sorry.
    2018 Mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Guy was undoubtedly trying to hammer the pedal for acceleration...then he complains about fuel economy? This ain't a $50,000 Lexus hybrid, pal. It's one or the other!

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Mitsubishi claims the Mirage can reach 37 miles per gallon between mixed city and highway driving; a claim that lies far from the 27 miles per gallon I averaged in 500 miles of mixed driving.”

This is highly unlikely. What the reviewer probably did was look at the “A” mpg value at the end of the time he had it not knowing that “A” resets itself after approximately 4 hours of non use.
    That can hardly be true. When he really drove 500 miles, he must have filled up the tank at least once. Or he did 55mpg, which I don't believe.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    what is this "B" mpg reading?
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    what is this "B" mpg reading?
    Lifetime or since last reset average
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Lifetime or since last reset average
    i don't think i have that on my 14 mirage - or do i ?

Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)