Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: U.S.: Brutal review of the Mirage G4 CVT

U.S.: Brutal review of the Mirage G4 CVT

Name:  pic-e1453325359818.png
Views: 605
Size:  11.0 KB

It's been a long while since I've gotten an e-mail alert about a Mirage review.

Maybe that's for the best if they're going to be like this one!

Here's a selection of phrases/adjectives from the review, just to give you a taste:

• leaves much to be desired
    • a very dreary place to be
    • uncomfortable and unsupportive
    • AC... has the blowing power equivalent to that of a broken desk fan
    • overall build quality and components, which are absolutely abysmal
    • content and quality ... subpar
    • atrocious driving dynamics
    • small bumps and potholes become an ordeal
    • really fails to impress
    • poor interior quality, a lukewarm powertrain and subpar driving dynamics
    • isn’t all that good at its intended purpose: transporting

The writer sums up the car, saying:

Even within its own class of subcompact cars, the Mirage really underperforms. Competitors like the Honda Fit, Toyota iA and Hyundai Accent are leagues better in terms of value and performance, and come reasonably well equipped at very similar price points. ... Savvy shoppers will see through the Mirage and pick anything else

A bit overblown, you think? This has to rank as one of the most negative Mirage reviews I've read.

(But let me not perpetuate the myth that all car reviewers hate the Mirage .)

Read the full review here: https://highlandernews.org/33643/33643/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    At least he made comparisons to cars that are close to the correct market segment.

And he called the drivetrain "lukewarm" rather than cold.

Some people just don't appreciate honest basic transportation. And, he's not wrong about "value". Look at the price point that Mitsu attempts to put on this car! If you buy one for significantly under the MSRP, which you can, you get a great deal. But, for the $18k sticker price that a lot of them carry? I'd be all over one of the competing cars that he mentioned! As a car reviewer, he's looking at MSRP, and a well-optioned Mirage falls flat due to the price.

For a $10-12k car, the Mirage is fantastic. For an $16-18k car... not so much.
    Simplify and add lightness.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Gnarles2 (09-28-2018)

Well said.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

I feel like we should be reminding MMNA that they really ought to be loaning out base model 5-speeds for media reviews. ONLY.

Stop pretending these are aspirational vehicles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Car makers. Always out for the big money.

And the US market... it's just plain fickle. Banks are willing to loan the money, and people feel like they "need" more car than they actually do. It's all about keeping up with the Joneses, and the Joneses got a Hemi in their quad cab RAM pickup!
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I feel like we should be reminding MMNA that they really ought to be loaning out base model 5-speeds for media reviews. ONLY.
    Makes me wonder how many such reviewers are able to operate a manual transmission.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

That was actually the previous PR manager's response when I suggested this. (He thought I was joking. )

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    the 27 miles per gallon I averaged in 500 miles of mixed driving.
    I really wonder how he managed that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Car makers. Always out for the big money.

And the US market... it's just plain fickle. Banks are willing to loan the money, and people feel like they "need" more car than they actually do. It's all about keeping up with the Joneses, and the Joneses got a Hemi in their quad cab RAM pickup!
    Umm, no I have a cummins in mine
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Loren (09-27-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    I really wonder how he managed that.
    Probably drove it like he stole it.
    Most cars I see at work average on trip B between 38-45mpg(5.1-6.2l/100km). I only saw one car that showed under that, 31mpg(7.4l/100km). That problem was easily fixed.

Mirage videos:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-28-2018)