Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heater core failure, 2015 DE with 33k miles (Update: fixed under warranty)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've replaced 2 heater cores in my life. The first was on a mid-60's Plymouth Valiant. The part was under $50 and easy for even a novice to replace. The second was on a mid-70's Volvo. The part was several hundred dollars and the job took the better part of a day and a lot of frustration to replace. I'd consider doing the 60's car again, in the unlikely event I ever have one again and it needs a heater core, but I doubt I'd want to tackle it on a newer car. Good think we have the long warranty and dealers that seem to stand behind them. I wonder if the heater core is one of the covered parts.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    I wonder if the heater core is one of the covered parts.
    It's covered by the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty. Once Doax verifies that a new heater core corrected his air temperature variation problem, then I'll be taking my car in to the dealer for this repair. It's looking like the heater cores in these cars could have a serious flaw.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Heater core failure

Heater core failure at 75k.
    Bypassed it and ran it this past summer. Looped a piece of 5/8 hose.
    Coolant temps very stabil with core bypassed, AC works better also. Warm up time reduced as well.
    New core is in now. Mitsu flat rate is 7hr. Guy who did it said he'd rather do 7 of these than one Chevy Equinox.

I will pressure test old core, suspect leak was from the pipe / core junction crimp.

Also suspect the very short heater hoses transmit movement to the critical pipe / core joint on this car.
    Especially on the manual trans cars.

Will be making up some longer, looped hoses to isolate heater core pipes from engine movement. Also considering a bypass for next summer.

On the plus side, I did become adept at managing interior weather conditions through this experience.
    Very happy to have warm toes again now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 47.7 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhiteMirage For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (11-19-2018),Daox (11-19-2018),Eggman (11-19-2018),inuvik (11-20-2018),Top_Fuel (11-20-2018)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    7 hrs?
    No thanks.
    Did an '82 Mustang (with a/c) once. Probably took as long.

But glad to hear you guys got them replaced under warranty.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Heater core failure

Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    7 hrs?
    No thanks.
    Did an '82 Mustang (with a/c) once. Probably took as long.

But glad to hear you guys got them replaced under warranty.
    My heater core ordeal was just under $1000 out of pocket, done by an independent shop, with all OEM parts.
    Mitsu Dealer would have been $1500.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 47.7 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Ouch!

The heater core is made entirely of aluminum. Yes, a few people have had issues with the crimped attachment points. I did when I installed my aftermarket core as well because I banged a tube while installing it. However, I was able to take a pliers and re-crimp the heater core. Its aluminum and quite soft. This fixed my leak entirely. I'd highly recommend trying this before either tearing apart the dash, or spending $1k. I'm sure it won't be easy to get in there. You'd probably have to drop the steering column. But, its worth a try before going the whole 9 yards.

This also reminds me I still have to do the write up on the DIY heater core replacement.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Heater core failure

Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Ouch!

The heater core is made entirely of aluminum. Yes, a few people have had issues with the crimped attachment points. I did when I installed my aftermarket core as well because I banged a tube while installing it. However, I was able to take a pliers and re-crimp the heater core. Its aluminum and quite soft. This fixed my leak entirely. I'd highly recommend trying this before either tearing apart the dash, or spending $1k. I'm sure it won't be easy to get in there. You'd probably have to drop the steering column. But, its worth a try before going the whole 9 yards.

This also reminds me I still have to do the write up on the DIY heater core replacement.
    Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  37.6 KB

Looks like it may be possible to get at it.