Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine code P0183 (fuel temperature sensor) SOLVED

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well.....I finally got around to popping the back seat and checking out the connections around the fuel pump. Pulled the connectors, sprayed with contact cleaner, made sure they were tightly seated, did a wire wiggle test, yada, yada. Still has a check engine light.
    I decided to slide by the local Mitsu dealer and talk to the parts guy. He said nobody has ever requested a fuel temp sensor AND, it's a part of the fuel pump assembly. Yes folks, $800 plus American for the whole assembly. His suggestion was try a pump from Pic A Part and see if it cures it. Might just try that, since it's an easy swap. If/when I do, I'll let everyone know how it turned out.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-28-2019),MetroMPG (01-28-2019)

Bummer the wire fiddling didn't fix it. Thanks for keeping us updated.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you did fix the problem, the CEL probably wouldn't immediately go off by itself. (maybe after some number of restart cycles with the fault corrected, it might) You'd need to reset the code. Then see if it returns.

Maybe that's what you did? But, it wasn't clear.

Most CEL codes don't immediately reset on their own.
    Simplify and add lightness.

what he said Attachment 13789

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Any update on this one?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Still have the check engine light. Same code. I checked the connectors in the driver's side kick panel. No corrosion noted. Wiggled connections, sprayed with contact cleaner, applied dielectric grease, no change. Three different fuel pumps installed. Come to the conclusion it ain't that. Guess I just run it like it is, till it dies.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Have you consulted Part 13A-205 thru 208 of the FSM? It suggests backprobing.

Name:  Engine code P0183 (fuel temperature sensor) backprobing 50.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  40.3 KB

Name:  Engine code P0183 (fuel temperature sensor) logic flowchart 50.png
Views: 1912
Size:  37.4 KB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitz For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-29-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    IT'S HEALED!!!!

Been living with it for almost a year now. Got tired of trying to figure it out. Decided to just take it to the dealer...
    Tech said that there were two wires under the passenger side rear door sill that were cut. Said it didn't look like mouse damage, but was more like a cut.
    Also asked about the CVT tech bulletin for "shift shock".
    As I'm the second owner, and this is a salvage title car, there's no freebies.
    What did it cost you ask. Well, I was told one hour labor ($120.00 US) for diagnostic of the ck engine light with the fuel sensor code issue for starters. Came back about an hour later and said he's got a 5v signal from ecm, but it stops at the shifter. So, he figures there's a break in the wire from the shifter to the fuel pump. Said the cheapest fix would be cutting loose the bad wire & installing a jumper wire to the pump. Fine, says I, how much to do that? $300 total including the diagnostic fee. (Insert wind sucking in noise here.) Ok, do it. Then I asked about doing the CVT bulletin thing. Well, $120 diagnostic for that. (Picture me holding chest here.) Ok... do that too. I'd grown very tired of the way it was shifting, ect. 1 1/2 hrs later, advisor comes back, said tech found the wire break, and it was 2 wires under the sill. He just repaired them instead of running new jumpers.
    About an hour after that he comes back and tells me the CVT needed 2 updates, and the ac was a little low on freon. I told him that I couldn't spend anymore as my wife and I had both recently been deemed nonessential employees, and our jobs had been eliminated.
    Two totally different industries, by the way. Covid's a bitc.. She's been getting unemployment for a month or so & I just applied last week.
    Anyways.. Back to our regularly scheduled program.
    Adviser finally comes back, says job completed, follow me to pay please. He hands me the bill, and it's only $300. I was expecting $420.00 plus shop supplies, yada, yada. Seems they charged me $180.00 for diagnostic of the sensor issue & wire repair & $120.00 for diagnostic of CVT and the updates. Guess they felt sorry for me and cut the bill. Very cool of them I thought. One of the few times I'd been to a dealership and left with a smile on my face.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (09-23-2020),gone.a (09-24-2020),inuvik (09-23-2020),MetroMPG (09-23-2020),Top_Fuel (09-23-2020)

Nice, it's good to hear stories like that.
    Mirage videos:

Underpromise and overdeliver!

Glad you finally got it sorted out. Does the CVT behave to your liking now?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)