Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can you bump start these damned things with a flat battery?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Can you bump start these damned things with a flat battery?

Got back home a few weeks ago and found the car flat with the door ajar in the parking lot.

Pushed it out of the spot and up a small hill, then pushed it down and tried to bump start it. With, NO results.

Just curious what may have happened? I figured it would be easier to get it firing than any larger vehicle. My best guess is that the alternator doesnt do anything in this car at a few hundred rpm?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You've got to have at least enough juice to wake up the ECU, run the fuel pump and fire the injectors and ignition. That's probably in the vicinity of 9-10.5 volts. The battery can be VERY low. But, if it's stone cold dead... nah, probably not gonna start.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Don't try to use first gear when bump-starting it. I always use second or even third.

Bump-starting one of these shouldn't be a problem.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Don't try to use first gear when bump-starting it. I always use second or even third.

Bump-starting one of these shouldn't be a problem.
    I had to bump start my Geo Metro a hand full of times. I can't see this light weight car being any different. What Mr Cobra said. Put the car in second gear, put the key in the run position, and press the clutch pedal with your right foot while standing outside with your left foot. Push the car and once you have it rolling, release the clutch for a moment and that should be enough for it to start. Of course, once it is running press the clutch back in before the car races away from you.

You can't push start a fuel injected car if the battery is completely dead. Like Loren said, you need to power the ecm, fuel pump etc. If you have a bit of juice left you might be lucky and get it going. The 80's are over, fandangled fuel injection needs power to run.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    You can't push start a fuel injected car if the battery is completely dead. Like Loren said, you need to power the ecm, fuel pump etc. If you have a bit of juice left you might be lucky and get it going. The 80's are over, fandangled fuel injection needs power to run.
    I have bump-started many fuel injected cars. But it's true that you usually need more than just a quick "bump". That is why it is important to use a higher gear. The engine...and alternator...need to turn for at least a few seconds before they will go, and the faster the better.

The alternator itself will put out up to 14.5 volts at around 65 amps (EDIT: 85 amps) if you can get it spinning fast enough for a few seconds. That is usually enough to get them to light off.

It's also important to make sure ALL extraneous electrical equipment...lights, radio, heater fan, etc...are off.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 10-01-2018 at 02:45 PM.

I've bump started them too. I'm just saying the battery was weak not completely dead though. If the battery is completely screwed, dead, zero volts, or even removed altogether then I can't say I've ever seen an injected vehicle successfully bump started.

The point of using a higher gear is so it's easier for the engine to turn. Put it in first and sometimes it'll just lock up the tires. But if it doesn't, use first then. Or use second or third and it'll be less strain, put it in 5th and it'll be really easy. But the higher the gear the slower the engine is going to spin. So putting it in 3rd then bump starting it will spin the alternator way slower than using first gear. Hope that made sense. I'm not sure if we were talking about the same thing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Take out the air filter and spray a little carb cleaner (or drip some gasoline) in there. If you can get the alternator to spin long enough to get spark, it should fire right up.

Of course, another option would be to simply have someone jump start the car.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-01-2018),TXmirageGUY (10-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Let this be everyone's reminder to check your battery. Winter is coming (cue Jon Snow) and I know last year, my battery went down 2 different times in super cold weather. I am just going to replace mine, but you should at least check yours.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I zeroed out my battery last winter by leaving the dome light on for a week. Luckily, the little battery in my Craftsman lawn mower not only started the car, but ran well for a few days while I was charging the other battery.

Name:  battery-for-craftsman-riding-lawn-mower-various-reasons-for-a-dying-lawn-mower-battery-craftsman.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  62.7 KB

Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)