Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Tires and alignment - Newer Mirage Owner

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Post Advice on Tires and alignment - Newer Mirage Owner

Hello all! I could use some advice on what I should do with my 2015 Mirage ES, just north of Portland, Oregon. Currently, it has 28000 miles on it and the tires are starting to get worn down. The front two tires are at 3mm, back passenger side is at 4mm, and back driver's side is at 5mm. They currently are the factory tires that come with the mirage. I have not had a rear alignment test done on the car since I got it at 24,000 miles in May of this year. I have not had seen any signs of the issue being present in my car. I am unsure on if I should take the car in for the test before I get new tires. Should I get the test now, or wait until my car is at the 30,000 miles when I already am taking it in?
    The second part of my question is when should I get new tires. I have some winter tires that I am going to but on in mid to late November, so should I just wait to to get new tires in the spring? I am pretty sure that I am going to get the federal ss-657 all season tires, but would be open to another option if you think there is a superior option.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Get the alignment done first to determine if your rear axle is out of spec. If it is then Mitsubishi has been covering this as a warranty item.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (10-07-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sweet thanks! Any advice on tires for out here in the PNW?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdoh57k View Post
    Sweet thanks! Any advice on tires for out here in the PNW?
    Welcome! I myself live in Vancouver and have the Federal SS-657 on my 17 Mirage. They are great All-Seasonish Tires ;-) I switch to Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 in November myself too. The Federal tires have been great and I've put on about 20k since having them and they are wearing down nice and slow. I bought all four Federals off Ebay for less than $200 and had them installed at the 'Tire Place' on 4th Plain. They have been the most reasonable that I've found, and do good work. They don't do alignments though. What part do you live in? If you ever need help with anything let me know, I do mechanics work on the side.

I think Inuvik has the Federals too, I may be wrong.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am up near padden and 162nd. I am thinking of getting them from Walmart, as I have not seen a better price around yet, but I got to wait to do the alignment next week at the dealer by Vancouver Mall.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am up near padden and 162nd. I am thinking of getting them from Walmart, as I have not seen a better price around yet, but I got to wait to do the alignment next week at the dealer by Vancouver Mall.
    Whatever works for you! Make yourself a garage here too. How are you liking your Mirage so far? Any gripes?

What is Wally World charging?
    Last edited by Alex1a1f; 10-07-2018 at 07:12 PM.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am loving it so far! I have mostly just been driving up and down 162nd for work and thats kind of where most of places I go are, and I am averaging 47 mpg. It was a huge change from the 1998 buick century I was driving before. No complaints so far, I will have to see what my fiancee thinks about it when she comes in a month.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am loving it so far! I have mostly just been driving up and down 162nd for work and thats kind of where most of places I go are, and I am averaging 47 mpg. It was a huge change from the 1998 buick century I was driving before. No complaints so far, I will have to see what my fiancee thinks about it when she comes in a month.
    Good for you man! I love mine to pieces. With a good set of tires, you'll be amazed how these things go in the snow and ice. I've taken her quite a few times to Mount Hood to ski and never had any issues, people do look at you funny though without AWD. I swapped my OEM alloys for a set of Mini Cooper 15", but they 14's were great in the snow.

There's probably about 5 or more of us here in the PDX Metro, we should have a little meet sometime!
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Tire prices may vary depending on where you live, but I am not sure? Federal SS-657 tires are slightly cheaper at simpletire.com & tires-easy.com (both with free-shipping) for my area. Walmart may mount/balance them cheaper, however. I've purchased tires from all three places with no complaints.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Get the alignment done first to determine if your rear axle is out of spec. If it is then Mitsubishi has been covering this as a warranty item.
    Yep...you may be entitled to a free $1,000 repair...but you'll never know if you don't get it checked. That's what Mitsubishi is counting on.

Even if your rear axle checks out OK, your front end was likely out of alignment the day your car rolled off the assembly line.

You should really have the alignment checked on any car before you put new tires on it. Otherwise, you may just be throwing money out the window on premature tire wear.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)