Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Mirage stuttering at lower speeds

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2015 Mirage stuttering at lower speeds

I just got this car and noticed it started to stuttering at lower speeds < 45 mph and sometimes even when I stop there is a slight jerk. No engine lights are on and just got the breaks and rotors repairs (pep boys screwed me over saying that was the cause). Everything else seems fine I'm worried however this might be a transmission issue anyone have problems like this.

68000 miles on it

I think the lower speeds the more frequent it is

Runs like butter on the freeway

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The CVT on this car does act differently than you're probably used to. It does have a surging feeling at lower speeds and may also slightly surge at a complete stop, not enough to lurch forward but enough that you'll feel it and be like wtf. That jerk is Idle Neutral Logic, the CVT is either going from the 2nd speed to 1st or actually in essence putting itself into a temporary neutral, saving fuel. The feelings you're having a quite normal for an initial new owner. I'd still do a drain and refill of the CVT, since at 60k it should've been done unless it already has been done. I think you're worrying about something you just may not be used to yet. This CVT is by no means a smooth operator.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    The CVT on this car does act differently than you're probably used to. It does have a surging feeling at lower speeds and may also slightly surge at a complete stop, not enough to lurch forward but enough that you'll feel it and be like wtf. That jerk is Idle Neutral Logic, the CVT is either going from the 2nd speed to 1st or actually in essence putting itself into a temporary neutral, saving fuel. The feelings you're having a quite normal for an initial new owner. I'd still do a drain and refill of the CVT, since at 60k it should've been done unless it already has been done. I think you're worrying about something you just may not be used to yet. This CVT is by no means a smooth operator.
    Omg if thats it id be happy, I really love this car but I heard about the cvt issues so I've been in panic mode. I'm going to take it to the dealer and just have them check everything just in case... its my first car purchase. But if this is just how they are im super cool with it (that fuel mileage)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Green View Post
    Omg if thats it id be happy, I really love this car but I heard about the cvt issues so I've been in panic mode. I'm going to take it to the dealer and just have them check everything just in case... its my first car purchase. But if this is just how they are im super cool with it (that fuel mileage)
    Hopefully they don't find anything major. Keep us updated.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hello Lil Green and welcome to the forum.

The Jatco CVT used in the Mirage is unique. It is a dual-range CVT, rated for 150 hp and with Idle Neutral Logic - essentially a combination of a traditional automatic transmission and a CVT. This dual range helps it get great fuel economy, but can give what is often referred to as a lurch as it shifts range. You can drive around in low range just to see what it's like. Another fuel saving feature is it'll go into neutral when stopped.

I think this is covered in the Owner's Manual. I just haven't gone over it since I have a 5-speed manual transmission.

Take some time to get used to your new car. I think you'll really like it. You'll have to tell us how you chose yours.

Again, welcome.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My car used to lose power and I thought it was due to a slipping clutch disk. In my situation, the problem ended up being due to a dirty fuel system, possibly the injectors. Long story short, I did a couple of concentrated Techron treatments and it fixed my problem.

Maybe you just have a dirty fuel system like I did? It only costs $5 for a concentrated bottle of Techron at Walmart. I now put a bottle of that stuff in my tank every time I get my tired rotated. At such a low cost, it wouldn't hurt to give the stuff a try.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Chevron-T...10-oz/16647989

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-07-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    People have commented on this 'problem' before. It is just the CVT doing its thing, as has been noted. This transmission is unique in that the CVT is mated to a conventional two-speed automatic gearbox. What you are feeling is the upshift/downshift of this gearbox.

Nothing to worry about!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    People have commented on this 'problem' before. It is just the CVT doing its thing, as has been noted. This transmission is unique in that the CVT is mated to a conventional two-speed automatic gearbox. What you are feeling is the upshift/downshift of this gearbox.

Nothing to worry about!
    My mistake. I guess I'm just really gung ho about that Techron stuff since it fixed my fuel problem. Based on the life left on my rear drum brakes, I might actually make it to 300k miles without changing my clutch disk.

I've had these cars lurch forward immediately after coming to a stop. Doesn't happen every time but it's annoying. It's pretty normal unfortunately, I've driven anything else that does that. Now I hold the brake pedal down like it's a deadman switch for a bomb so I don't look like a tard at red lights.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a CVT and it sounds exactly like mine. It has been like that since new and now I am so used to it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.5 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gnarles2 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-12-2018)