Thread: Engine/Tranny Jerky on Corolla

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Engine/Tranny Jerky on Corolla

My Corolla S 2011 automatic has been acting up lately. I changed the alternator at 65,000 miles a few months and it probably shot out because I do a ton of stop and go driving for work.

Sometimes I will change to park and the whole car shakes a lot (this doesn't happen all the time though). I used to be able to control the speed smoothly on level and downhill road. But now it seems to jerk by the slightest movement of my foot. I tried letting go the gas to just do a coast, but the RPM stayed at 2500 and didn't really want to go down.

Most of these problems happen when I'm trying to drive around 40mph and worsens at night when its a bit colder.

Any thoughts? I heard the transmission fluid is supposed to be lifetime, but I'm starting to have some doubts

Last edited by Marklovski; 10-12-2018 at 10:34 AM.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Filter and fluid change ASAP. Solenoids for shifting may be partially plugged also or starving for lubrication due to restricted or low fluid. That’s the most likely issues I can think of.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

I'll try a little to help but this is a Mirage forum.
    https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/corol...iew-964611029/

http://www.corollaforum.com/threads/...-resolved.389/
    Might be as simple as getting the ecm reflashed? Or your transmission is screwed. Hard to tell by what your wording what's going on.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Does your accelerator pedal move freely or does it bind?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Filter and fluid change ASAP. Solenoids for shifting may be partially plugged also or starving for lubrication due to restricted or low fluid. That’s the most likely issues I can think of.
    I see. The colder weather especially at 2-3 AM may be making the lubrication even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'll try a little to help but this is a Mirage forum.
    https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/corol...iew-964611029/

http://www.corollaforum.com/threads/...-resolved.389/
    Might be as simple as getting the ecm reflashed? Or your transmission is screwed. Hard to tell by what your wording what's going on.
    That sounds like part of the problems I'm having. Just odd it started this year. I hope its just the ECM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Does your accelerator pedal move freely or does it bind?
    Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the pedal.

So far what I'm reading is that I might have two problems. ECM and transmission isn't working properly due to lack of lube.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the pedal.
    That's probably because your Corolla is drive by wire, correct? I figure you would know whether your throttle is cable operated or drive by wire.

Your description of your symptoms reminds me of something I faced with my last daily driver, my Ford Focus wagon. I bought it off a used car lot. Not long after purchase, the weather turned cold and freezing overnight temperatures brought a funny problem - my accelerator pedal was stuck shut. I had to stomp on it to break it free so I could drive myself to work in the morning. Once freed it was fine - until it cooled off again.

One day it was too much to bear. I bought a can of throttle body cleaner, disassembled the little guy and sprayed & scrubbed with a little toothbrush and removed a bunch of crud. Upon reassembly, it no longer stuck and ran better.

Your symptoms may not be caused by the same gunk & crud, and your drive by wire might be managing things fine one day and funny the next. Are you able to monitor OBD II parameters somehow? You can watch the throttle operation through your OBD II port.

Just some thoughts from someone who has no experience or expertise with Toyota Corollas. Definitely worth the price paid though.
    Last edited by Eggman; 10-12-2018 at 11:10 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The corolla is drive by wire. The car does worsen in colder temperatures so I will check it out. My coolant was low but not empty so I doubt it was the coolant. But for sure the cold is messing with the car.

I don't have an OBD, I'll have to borrow one on Sunday.

Oil levels are fine. Washington did have forest fire smoke during summer so I checked and swapped out the cabin/air filters. Just waiting until Sunday so I can use a garage and tools I don't have. Honestly could be anything since my alternator died early.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The corolla doesn't start now. Tried trying to car garage. Gonna try if its a bad ground on the battery.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So it was a bad ground. Where the ground is supposed to be connected it had the area painted over. Not sure why Toyota would paint the area then place the ground. Brother got a Blue Origin drill bit for grounding and now its fixed.