Thread: Sound deadening. Checked the pinned post, has anybody gone about this?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Sound deadening. Checked the pinned post, has anybody gone about this?

So, if the roads are wet, above 90-100km/h, pretty much all I can hear is the constant drone of rubber on water, and water on inner wheel wells.

Just curious if anybody has popped the rear seats, the carpets, etc, and done some mat work on the fenders and/or the doors? I know what I'm doing for install, but just kind of curious what we have for clearance? Can I use a 1/2" mat and stick it down, or will I have some clearance concerns with seats and being able to tuck the carpet back down under the trim edges?

What has been used? What can I get away with? Straight up just shoving household batt insulation around the spare tire has already helped a good deal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    There are a few excellent threads and DIY's on that subject right here in this forum.
    Before opening a new one and fragmenting information, use the search function!

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...bitumen-tiles)

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...s-with-photos)

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...to-your-Mirage

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...rough-Firewall
    Last edited by foama; 10-15-2018 at 07:16 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-16-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I've heard from other users on other forums that rubberized underbody coating works well on the wheel wells to quiet down tire noise. Its applied on the outside, and that means you don't have to tear the interior apart.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I've heard from other users on other forums that rubberized underbody coating works well on the wheel wells to quiet down tire noise. Its applied on the outside, and that means you don't have to tear the interior apart.
    Looking at the wheel wells, in particular rear ones, the applied stuff on later models is a different sort and in slightly different positions than on older ones. The older ones have the stuff sprayed on, the newer applied with a brush. The newer also have more stuff applied to the bottom of the spare tyre well.

In addition to what was shown in the thread "How to do some noise dampening" mine also has additional PVC rubber-like coating applied to all four wheel wells. Over all, noise is cut by at least 50% compared to the original condition.
    Last edited by foama; 10-15-2018 at 03:28 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-15-2018),MetroMPG (10-16-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is an interesting post. I havent had too much noise on my car when riding on the motorway. Its a cheap plastic car so certainly its louder than other cars that I have owned but the level of noise was never offensive enough to me to do anything about it. With a/c on or radio on I dont hear enough noise that would cause me discomfort.

Personally I would not worry too much about it or spend money on any rubberized coatings. The rubberized coatings may cause trouble. If you want to spend money than spend it on upgrading your stereo and speakers and add an amp. Then you can hear your sweet tunes and wont hear the outdoor noises. I think that is your best bet.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    This is an interesting post. I havent had too much noise on my car when riding on the motorway. Its a cheap plastic car so certainly its louder than other cars that I have owned but the level of noise was never offensive enough to me to do anything about it. With a/c on or radio on I dont hear enough noise that would cause me discomfort.

Personally I would not worry too much about it or spend money on any rubberized coatings. The rubberized coatings may cause trouble. If you want to spend money than spend it on upgrading your stereo and speakers and add an amp. Then you can hear your sweet tunes and wont hear the outdoor noises. I think that is your best bet.
    Amen. My radio works fine. These are cheap plastic cars. If you want something better without doing a bunch of silly mods, buy a Toyota Corolla.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Different strokes for different folks. If you love this car and the only thing that bothers you is road noise, get a few bucks worth of materials and fix that thing. Don't go buy a whole new car with tons of junk you don't need or want because of it.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)