Thread: Can I peel back the headliner along the edges without doing any damage?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Can I peel back the headliner along the edges without doing any damage?

Running wiring for 2 new rear passenger lights in the next while. One small light in the middle of the rear, and another at the back of the middle cupholder (for seat and floor lighting). Just curious what'll happen when I splice the new light into the front dome and try to sneak the wire between the headliner and the ceiling before cutting a small hole for it and mounting it?

Some vehicles this is a cakewalk, other vehicles are very tight fitted with a whack of glue so you can't actually get the wire chased to where you need it without hours of labour or complete removal.

What am I getting myself into here?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

It won't damage a thing. The headliner is held in by the visors, side handles, plastic rivets, and trim above seat belts and rear seat backs. The wire was easy to run from dome light to center without a problem, no glue or anything to worry about.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I say don't take anything apart. Use some stick, like a fiberglass rod (think fishing pole) to push or pull your wiring from the front light to your new back light. Cut your hole in the rear of your liner and use that as your access point for pulling. Borrow some fishing sticks from an electrician buddy or get something cheap from Harbor Freight.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Has anyone ever tried to flush-mount an OEM front dome light assembly in the headliner above the rear seat area? You know, to have a 'matched set'?

Is there enough space between the headliner and the roof?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Has anyone ever tried to flush-mount an OEM front dome light assembly in the headliner above the rear seat area? You know, to have a 'matched set'?

Is there enough space between the headliner and the roof?
    Yes someone did on here, I cannot find the garage though. There is enough room behind the center beam that runs between seatbelts.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Here is the write up I think Alex is talking about. It looks like we missed adding it to the mods thread:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-the-back-seat

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)