Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which CVT fluid to use?

Country
    Israel
    Thanks

Which CVT fluid to use?

Hi everyone,
    so there is the genuine mitsubishi CVT J4 fluid which is quite expensive, and recently I found Castrol transmax CVT fluid which says it is compatible with J4 standard that is required for the mirage and it costs about 1/3 of the mitsubishi fluid. Does anyone know that fluid and whether it's good and suitable?
    Also I would love to know what other available CVT fluids are there to use on my mirage, best if are available in Israel, but that's for me to check
    Thanks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    It would probably be fine. But...

These cars require very little maintenance relative to older vehicles, so I personally don't see the need the 'cheap out' when it comes to things like this. It' just not worth saving a few bucks and having that uncertainty.

I don't have a CVT, but if I did I would go with Mitsubishi fluid every 60k.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Wayne (09-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Fummins used another brand of CVT fluid, so hopefully he chimes in with his advice here.

Aside from that, I agree with Cobrajet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Israel
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    It would probably be fine. But...

These cars require very little maintenance relative to older vehicles, so I personally don't see the need the 'cheap out' when it comes to things like this. It' just not worth saving a few bucks and having that uncertainty.

I don't have a CVT, but if I did I would go with Mitsubishi fluid every 60k.
    I am not talking about some unknown fluid from some unknown chinese brand. From what I know, Castrol is a very good manufacturer with high quality products. So I don't see it as 'cheap out', but rather why to pay 3 times more if I can get a high quality product for a lot less.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yujinius View Post
    I am not talking about some unknown fluid from some unknown chinese brand. From what I know, Castrol is a very good manufacturer with high quality products. So I don't see it as 'cheap out', but rather why to pay 3 times more if I can get a high quality product for a lot less.
    Because you won't be certain that this fluid is 100% correct for your car (which is why you are asking here). Again, I am sure the fluid you are considering would probably be fine. Probably. Castrol makes good stuff.

But for me saving a few dollars isn't worth taking the chance, especially when only about three or four quarts are required. If Mitsubishi fluid is coming OUT, I would know I was safe if Mitsubishi fluid is going IN.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Wayne (09-13-2019),yujinius (10-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    That's an interesting point from the standpoint of compatibility. How can we know if two different brands of CVT fluid are compatible with each other?

It's more work to fully evacuate all the Mitsubishi fluid before adding fluid from another vendor.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

yujinius (10-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    The spec sheet does say its J4 compatible. I don't see any huge reason not to use it.

Product Performance Claims
    Suitable for use where:
    MMC DIAQUEEN CVT Fluid J4
    MMC DIAQUEEN CVT Fluid J4+

Castrol Transmax CVT datasheet
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

yujinius (10-21-2018)

If it meets the mfg recommended specs I'd use it. I don't see the point in paying 3x as much for something just cause it has the mfg sticker on the bottle. Unless the fluid mfg lied about the specs they meet I see no problem.

Dealers will always try to scare people into thinking you're warranty is void if you don't let them do all the service and use their parts and fluids. Even though most people on this forum are probably more mechanically inclined than the most employees at the mistu dealership, doesn't mean they think that way. If you have an engine or transmission failure I think it's more likely they'll try to void your warranty because you do your own maintenance and try to say you did something wrong or are missing one receipt etc...It would be hard for them to blame the fluid you used if it says right on the bottle it meets the same spec as the stuff you buy from the dealer. Unless they were able to prove that the fluid used was the cause of failure.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

yujinius (10-21-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Canadian tire OEM Brand Cvt Oil

The canadian tire’s “OEM CVT Oil” is working great for me. It shifts much smooter and it seems more quieter now. It is J4 compatible as mentioned on the back label.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Alemon; 03-29-2019 at 07:15 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 2 cents: if anything were to go south with my CVT, I would rather have receipts showing Mitsubishi fluid going in than anything else. That and $5 will buy you a coffee most anywhere

2017 Mirage ES - Black

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-13-2019)