Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Over-revved the Engine - Poof! (Update: 2017 engine swapped into 2015 car)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The only parts that are plastic are the intake manifold and the cam cover. The oil pan is stamped steel. Pretty much everything else is aluminum.

Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-30-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Whoa, last night was not a fluke. Traffic wasn't particularly heavy today, being Veteran's Day. But, there was traffic. And I just drove 40 minutes, 25 miles of mixed driving... 56.9 mpg! It was a bunch of stop and go 35-45 mph, some 55 mph highway, and some casual suburban cruising at 30-35.

It's definitely easier to get more MPG with a little more torque available. (likewise, would be easy to NOT get more MPG... takes restraint)
    I imagine all that weight reduction you've done has a positive impact as well? Which do you think accounts for more (engine v weight)?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good question. Really hard to say. Driver is always the biggest variable.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-30-2018),Tyrelirwin (01-04-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It's definitely easier to get more MPG with a little more torque available. (likewise, would be easy to NOT get more MPG... takes restraint)
    I agree, that sweet spot in 4th gear going around 80 km's an hour or 50 miles an hour country roads and 71 F sunny day you can get super excellent fuel economy and the best torque in the Mirage.. and yes it is where restraint on your right foot meets the money spot for power in the little car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I agree, that sweet spot in 4th gear going around 80 km's an hour or 50 miles an hour country roads and 71 F sunny day you can get super excellent fuel economy and the best torque in the Mirage.. and yes it is where restraint on your right foot meets the money spot for power in the little car
    At 50mph I'm in 5th. In the manual at least. And that gives the best mileage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In my '18 I average 52 at 70 in 5th, and 36 at 80 haha
    2018 mirage ES manual

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, you can't fully remove the timing cover without removing the oil pan. The oil pickup tube comes off of the bottom of the timing cover and hangs up if the oil pan is in place.
    I used to drive a Mighty Max. The timing belt cover would come off, but if you wanted to remove the oil pump cover under that... same thing. Pickup tube hit the oil pan.

I'm loving these pictures, only pics I've ever seen of the inside of a Mirage engine. Have any of the bottom end?

The only parts that are plastic are the intake manifold and the cam cover. The oil pan is stamped steel. Pretty much everything else is aluminum.
    I showed my Mirage oil pan to my brother in law after we got done fixing the stripped drain plug bolt in his Caravan. The Mirage the only car I've seen newer than 2000 with a steel oil pan.
    Last edited by Tinker1980; 01-07-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    I'm loving these pictures, only pics I've ever seen of the inside of a Mirage engine. Have any of the bottom end?
    I didn't take apart the bottom end. Just took 20 minutes to pull the head off to see what was broken.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    All lexus vehicles use steel oil pans, to this day
    2018 mirage ES manual

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage Es 1.2 manual: 41.6 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 50.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    I used to drive a Mighty Max. The timing belt cover would come off, but if you wanted to remove the oil pump cover under that... same thing. Pickup tube hit the oil pan.

I showed my Mirage oil pan to my brother in law after we got done fixing the stripped drain plug bolt in his Caravan. The Mirage the only car I've seen newer than 2000 with a steel oil pan.
    You haven't seen many cars then. More are still metal than anything else. My tundra is steel and so was our last two vehicles. 08 Elantra and 06 sienna