Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Over-revved the Engine - Poof! (Update: 2017 engine swapped into 2015 car)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    You haven't seen many cars then. More are still metal than anything else. My tundra is steel and so was our last two vehicles. 08 Elantra and 06 sienna
    Likewise on my 01 Accent..03 Elantra..02 ZX2.. 09 Elantra.. 11 Optima.

(blank signature)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Pryme (01-11-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'm the 2nd owner, and the car has 40k miles. I guess I should be covered under the 5yr/60k warranty. But, I'm hesitant to even bother trying to make a claim. It would be nothing but hassle if I took it in, just to have them tell me that "the ecu shows that this engine was revved to 8972 rpm, this is clearly abuse and your warranty is void".

So... I'm probably just going to fix it myself.[/QUOTE]

Find Out before Assumimg? What’s there to lose?? All you need to do is leave it off day it’s broken, suddenly lost compression, and needs engine work.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    DJ, I appreciate the sentiment, but:

1. You're 3 months late. The engine has already been replaced.

2. I was trying to minimize down time and hassles on my part. (I was back on the road in exactly 3 weeks) If I did as you suggested, "leaving it at the dealer" would have involved having it towed there. And maybe they'd cover the repair, maybe they wouldn't. If they didn't, then they'd want to charge me for disassembly and diagnosis at a minimum... and then I'd have to tow the car back home to repair it. Best case, they fix it. Worst case, I'm out more money at at least a week of time.

3. If they opted to REPAIR the engine, then I've got an engine that's been completely torn down and rebuilt by local mechanics, ASE and Mitsubishi certifications or not... I don't trust them to build an engine as good as the factory. It's just another car to them, if it fails, the car comes back and they do it again, no skin off their back. This way, I got a completely unmolested 20,000 mile factory engine that I don't have to worry about.

4. It's really NOT the right thing to do. Fact is, we WERE racing the car, which is directly in violation of the terms of the warranty. Mitsubishi doesn't owe me anything. The car didn't break under normal use. We BROKE the car under racing conditions by doing something stupid.

In the end it was a lot easier for ME, a mechanically inclined person with all the required tools and plenty of friends to help, to just buy a new engine and DIY. As a bonus, I got an upgraded 2017 spec engine with a few more horsepower. And I learned a lot more about the car and had fun doing it.

What's right for me might not be right for you or a lot of other people.
    Simplify and add lightness.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-28-2019),Pryme (01-29-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post

2. I was trying to minimize down time and hassles on my part. (I was back on the road in exactly 3 weeks) If I did as you suggested, "leaving it at the dealer" would have involved having it towed there. And maybe they'd cover the repair, maybe they wouldn't. If they didn't, then they'd want to charge me for disassembly and diagnosis at a minimum... and then I'd have to tow the car back home to repair it. Best case, they fix it. Worst case, I'm out more money at at least a week of time.

3. If they opted to REPAIR the engine, then I've got an engine that's been completely torn down and rebuilt by local mechanics, ASE and Mitsubishi certifications or not... I don't trust them to build an engine as good as the factory. It's just another car to them, if it fails, the car comes back and they do it again, no skin off their back. This way, I got a completely unmolested 20,000 mile factory engine that I don't have to worry about.

4. It's really NOT the right thing to do. Fact is, we WERE racing the car, which is directly in violation of the terms of the warranty. Mitsubishi doesn't owe me anything. The car didn't break under normal use. We BROKE the car under racing conditions by doing something stupid.

In the end it was a lot easier for ME, a mechanically inclined person with all the required tools and plenty of friends to help, to just buy a new engine and DIY. As a bonus, I got an upgraded 2017 spec engine with a few more horsepower. And I learned a lot more about the car and had fun doing it.

I don't think Mitsubishi is resourceful enough to try and rebuild anything themselves let alone farm it out locally. At least not for cvt's. They just drop in a new one.
    You could always try what that one guy did with a broken clutch and just walk in with the damaged part in hand and expect warranty...
    I'm with you though, way quicker to do it your way. Even if stuff is covered under warranty, sometimes it's just easier to fix it yourself, at least you'll know it's done right and not by some work experience kid or min wage lube guy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's it. Sometimes it's just not worth the hassle. I've owned this car for a year and a half, and not once set foot in a Mitsubishi dealer. I like it that way.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post

Good man for point four. Not all the time do you see integrity anymore.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Loren (01-29-2019)