Soooo... the Mirage came home on a flatbed today.

I haven't started the search yet, but has anybody got any info about what happens when you over-rev a 3A92 Mirage engine?

No, I didn't do it, but it was my car, and I just as well could have. Anyone who has autocrossed for any length of time (or likely even driven "spiritedly" on the street) has managed to miss a 2-3 shift and hit first gear. Typically, the astute driver recognizes this before the clutch is even fully engaged, pushes the clutch back in, and the engine carries on with just a minor over-rev.

That's more or less what happened today, except my co-driver must have let the clutch out a little more than that. This being at an autocross event, he was at the top of 2nd gear. 6200+ rpm, reached for 3rd and grabbed 1st. Kudos to my transmission for smoothly allowing this to happen! I'm not too mad at my co-driver. As mentioned, I could have just as well done it myself. I don't do it often, and I haven't done it in this car, but I have done it.

I don't know what's broken. The engine turns over freely. Too freely. So freely that I first thought that the starter wasn't engaging... but, that didn't make any sense. Popped the hood and looked. You can see the accessories on the front of the engine turning. So, the engine is cranking. But, there is zero compression. No resistance. But, no strange noises, either. (that part is good) Removed the oil cap. You can see the timing chain turning, so it's not a broken timing chain.

My only guess right now is that it somehow slipped the timing chain, and now the valves are out of synch. Thus no compression.

I've never bothered to do a great deal of research on this engine, didn't think I needed to. I'm not even sure if it's a non-interference engine. And I don't know what the chain tensioner setup looks like. Is it possible that the timing chain could have slipped a few teeth (possibly by design) without breaking anything? I don't know.

If you know anything, hit me with your knowledge!

I'll be trying to figure this out over the next few days. If it seems like I can fix it without a lot of money in parts, I'll likely do that. If it seems likely that something is hard broken, I know salvage engines can be had for very cheap.

I'm the 2nd owner, and the car has 40k miles. I guess I should be covered under the 5yr/60k warranty. But, I'm hesitant to even bother trying to make a claim. It would be nothing but hassle if I took it in, just to have them tell me that "the ecu shows that this engine was revved to 8972 rpm, this is clearly abuse and your warranty is void".

So... I'm probably just going to fix it myself.