Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Over-revved the Engine - Poof! (Update: 2017 engine swapped into 2015 car)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    looked last night. 2017 engines are available for $300.19 (yes, 19 cents) to $1600. And expanding the search to include 2015 engines, they are $250-1800. There's even at least one fairly close to me for $650.
    I accidentally went from 5th to 3rd gear instead of 4th somehow you know in my '14 Mirage 5 speed going about 110kms/h and the engine went wooo right... so yea there's a limit, this isn't a Yamaha 3 cylinder type of deal, perhaps in some ways yes though. Not the same overall that we are talking about.

Probably reprogram new whatever needs put in and no physical damage is done

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the moral support, guys!

This evening, I'm futzing with my truck. Minor coolant leak to fix, and then I need to get it tuned well enough to drive a little bit. I've been very slowly converting it to run on a Megasquirt ECU. (actually, a Microsquirt) After sitting on it for a year due to lack of motivation to do final troubleshooting of the wiring and getting it started... I paid a friend to do that part about a month ago. So, it at least runs on the MS. I just haven't made time to start tuning it. Now, suddenly, I have motivation!
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey I hope I can help out here somehow, I did roughly the same thing a while back and had to explain that all to you guys lol and the issue according to Mitsubishi was that the exaust manifold was blown, my engine still ran fine, just an odd idle but I hope this helps man, and mine was 3rd to second from redline which was pretty bad :') getting another engine would probably be easier if you can't identify the problem, and I appreciate your work in the autocross for us all! I hope to get into autocross sometime soon
    Last edited by AssassinTime14; 10-22-2018 at 03:34 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 37.4 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AssassinTime14 For This Useful Post:

Loren (10-22-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did some more looking at the 2017+ changes. It's a lot more than just the cams, but even the cams, I don't think they changed the lift (just a guess). They just made several changes to the engine to significantly reduce friction, and that should be enough to add 4 hp. They may have tweaked the ECU tuning a little bit, but I'm not even going to worry about that unless it either doesn't run right (highly unlikely), or doesn't seem to have the expected increase in power.

So, I'm going to go with a 2017+ engine. Will shop for one this week. Also planning to start taking accessories off of the engine this week, and maybe have it out of the car this weekend.

The sooner I get the engine out, the more time I'll have to decide what to do with the flywheel.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    he was at the top of 2nd gear. 6200+ rpm, reached for 3rd and grabbed 1st. Kudos to my transmission for smoothly allowing this to happen!
    I have to say I'm surprised that this happened. I have a hard time engaging first gear if I'm moving along. I have to slow down to almost a stop in order to engage first.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

fc321 (01-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Weighted shift knob probably helps it slip in. I also recently changed the fluid with some Redline MTL or something like that, which did smooth the shifts a little bit.

If you're up in the revs, it does shift easier. Everythings moving at a good pace, anyway.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's a good point. I usually shift around 1500 - 2000 RPMs and have no problem shifting up. Shifting down in gear isn't a hassle with the exception of first and of course reverse.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, a smooth downshift at low RPM requires a little throttle-blip. Just a little more revs and it falls right in.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, a smooth downshift at low RPM requires a little throttle-blip. Just a little more revs and it falls right in.
    Oh yeah I double clutch often.

Darn topic drift.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Speaking of topic drift, I'm curious to know how your clutch has held up - the pressure plate, disc, and especially the damper springs.

Now's your chance to try out a lightweight flywheel.

Spare parts and silver linings.