Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Over-revved the Engine - Poof! (Update: 2017 engine swapped into 2015 car)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    Speaking of timing chains, has it been confirmed that the CVT mirages also have a timing chain?
    The only CVT/Manual engine difference that I've heard of on the 3A92 is that when they did the roller cams in 2017+, they only did the intake cam for the Manual, and both cams for the CVT.

Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

timw4mail (01-10-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    2017 engine has been installed into my 2015. No differences between the two at all. The only problem we had was a slight misalignment of the rear airbox bolt. I don't think it was a production change, I think that bracket just got bent somehow in the process of moving the engine around. Absolutely everything else bolted in exactly like the old engine. Started up and ran like a top! (or... like a sewing machine, if you prefer)

The +4 hp of the 2017 engine, plus a slightly lightened flywheel, plus 28 pounds less battery weight all added up to a significant difference in acceleration. I haven't tested it yet. But, even with a 200 pound passenger, it felt peppier! My co-driver (the one who was responsible for the missed shift that trashed the engine... d'oh!) had the same observation when he drove it. It's a huge improvement!

Unfortunately, I can't say how much of the improvement is attributable to which change. But, I'll do some testing and compare to previous testing... and we'll know overall how much the improvement was.

Very happy right now. The car is back together, and the improvements made are more than just numbers, they can be felt!

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-12-2018),Fummins (06-24-2022),Pryme (11-12-2018)

Great news all around. Congrats!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

PS: Mind if I flesh out the thread title to reflect the engine swap?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    2017 engine has been installed into my 2015. No differences between the two at all. The only problem we had was a slight misalignment of the rear airbox bolt. I don't think it was a production change, I think that bracket just got bent somehow in the process of moving the engine around. Absolutely everything else bolted in exactly like the old engine. Started up and ran like a top! (or... like a sewing machine, if you prefer)

The +4 hp of the 2017 engine, plus a slightly lightened flywheel, plus 28 pounds less battery weight all added up to a significant difference in acceleration. I haven't tested it yet. But, even with a 200 pound passenger, it felt peppier! My co-driver (the one who was responsible for the missed shift that trashed the engine... d'oh!) had the same observation when he drove it. It's a huge improvement!

Unfortunately, I can't say how much of the improvement is attributable to which change. But, I'll do some testing and compare to previous testing... and we'll know overall how much the improvement was.

Very happy right now. The car is back together, and the improvements made are more than just numbers, they can be felt!
    The line of shame has been moved up! Congratulations on the good news. I hope everything else falls in line for you in this project.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    PS: Mind if I flesh out the thread title to reflect the engine swap?
    Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    The line of shame has been moved up!
    Yup.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice work Loren! Happy to hear that it swapped out perfect. Looking forward to the numbers!
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Awesome. Any pics of the swap process?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I took reference photos as we took things apart to help with reassembly, that's about it. Link to those photos has already been posted. Very likely in this thread.

Aside from that, it was a pretty straightforward engine removal and installation. Not much to see.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Nice work Loren! Happy to hear that it swapped out perfect. Looking forward to the numbers!
    I was looking forward to the numbers, myself. The FEEL was much greater than I expected. As it turns out, so were the numbers. I expected about 7%, got closer to 9%. That jives with how it feels.

Name:  2017EngineAccelTest.png
Views: 647
Size:  31.4 KB

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (11-12-2018),Daox (11-12-2018)