Thread: Off-Topic - The Mirage is heavy,overpowered, and has a poor drag co-efficient . . .

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Off-Topic - The Mirage is heavy,overpowered, and has a poor drag co-efficient . . .

At least it is compared to the Urbee. I saw this guy speak a couple years back and have been following the project ever since. It is a daunting task for any start-up auto manufacturer, but this team has developed a lot of interesting research that will benefit fuel efficient cars of the future whether they get the Urbee to production or not.

Here are the details of the project: http://korecologic.com/

They are hoping to write a book about it (fundraising site): http://kck.st/17yoYLL

So, if anyone tells you your Mirage is underpowered and small - you can just explain how it has about 9x the power of another car you were considering!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Ha! Good thread title.

Some video...

I've seen news bits about this vehicle around the web. Made in Manitoba, eh? Didn't know that tidbit.

So many of these ultra-efficient 3-wheel commuter vehicles never make it to production, or don't seem to sell well if they do: Corbin Sparrow & Aptera come to mind.

The other "next big thing" in efficient 3-wheel commuters is the one from Elio Motors:

I wish these guys well! But if history is any indication...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I really wanted an Aptera. Too bad about that company as well. One thing I liked is that Jim Korr said that if his car was mass-produced, it could be sold for around $8000 retail. I think it would be closer to $30 000 produced on a small scale. That's one challenge of these sort of companies, but I expect in time people will realize the utility of a small people-mover and some company (one with considerable finances) will market it as such and break through. Right now it seems that Urbee has much of the needed brain-power, but lacks the investors.

That Elio looks like a winner - and for only $6 800. Two bad it only seats one, though (edited to add - looks like there is a second seat behind the first - my mistake.)
    Last edited by Canoehead; 11-03-2013 at 02:59 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

I was also really rooting for Aptera. A work of art & science, that one.

The other thing these guys lack: high enough fuel costs! (As does the Mirage, but to a lesser extent.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'd buy and older sports bike over one of these things. If a single person commuter is what you desire....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2010 Yaris 1.5 manual: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I have a motorcycle and the Elio is still attractive to me. I like the idea of being able to jump in and go no matter the weather.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bretts View Post
    I'd buy and older sports bike over one of these things. If a single person commuter is what you desire....
    Bikes are fun for sure, but where I live bikes are expensive toys that must be put away for half the year when the snow/ice cover the ground. Insurance is much higher, too, and many people prefer the stability, comfort, and safety of being surrounded in a car to the fun and freedom of a bike.

Most bikes don't really get that good mileage, either, if that is what you are after.