Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: First long distance freeway trip this weekend

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I don't really get it either. I just know people have lots of odd doubts when it comes to little cars being capable of doing what seems like everyday normal things. Hopefully, their google search brings them here and can see that its no big deal.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (11-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I wouldn't buy a car if I were concerned it couldn't make it down the freeway. Thats why I refuse to ever own a Kia.
    I had a Hyundai Elantra (basically a Kia) before this and made three separate 2k plus mile drives with it and had zero issues. Hyundai Kia has come a looong way in the last 20yrs.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Even though we may all use our Mirages in different ways, the common theme is that we are quite happy with them.

Since the Mirage receives some unwarranted negative press (from car critics mostly), I would not blame someone for searching for information that may counter all that.

Consumer reviews on cars.com, kbb.com, & this forum helped erase my concerns. I became interested in the Mirage during the summer of 2017, & I eventually bought a new 2017 Mirage later that fall (October). I have no regrets!

I value the opinions of others. Even those I don't agree with.

Fummins' numerous posts helped confirmed the reliability of these small cars, & it helped me to pull the trigger on buying my own.

Stevedmc's posts also gives me confidence about the future. If driven correctly, it's nice to know clutches and other major parts are holding up quite well after racking up the miles. I don't share his view of KIAs, but that's ok, too. KIA is very respectable brand by today's standards. No one person's opinion should change that for anyone.

Being a science teacher, I get a kick out of everything Daox likes to experiment with & shares with us. Some things interest me more than others, but I wouldn't give up the rear sway bar for anything.

Likewise, Loren & others likes working on car way more than I do. I still find their information very interesting. I sort of like the Mirage as is, but it's still interesting to read stuff about what others are doing.

I really appreciated everyone's input.

The Mirage is an affordable, economical, & reliable little car. What's not to like? It may not tow a boat or camper very well, but a nice pickup isn't going to get 40-50 mpg consistently either.

Final fyi - I visited another forum for another vehicle recently, & I found it quite lame by comparison.
    Last edited by Mark; 11-02-2018 at 04:52 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-02-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    I'm still at a loss.

Who is concerned when buying a new car if itll work on the highway? Not trying to be the peanut gallery here, just earnestly honestly confused.

It's a car. It has an engine, wipers, heater, lights and windows. Why wouldnt it work on a freeway? It's not a tank, it's not a tractor, and it's not a moped.

Say what you will but the concept makes no sense. Gravel roads, deep snow, mud, ask away. But a car on a road shouldnt invoke fear or suspicion of ability.
    Welcome to the peanut gallery.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hi! I just got my '02 Mirage with only 112k miles on it. I drove it home from Dothan AL. It gave me next to zero problems but about 75 miles away from home I had an issue with the fuse compartment. I was running my headlights on bright and someone ****** rigged the fuses to where they were not fused. burnt up te wires to headlights so now I was stuck at night with no headlights. Had to wait till morning to get it back home. Moral of the story, almost anything can strand you, so check it out before a trip!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Welcome to the forum Dr! Sounds like a previous owner was not too smart with their “mod”. Other than fixing the headlights do you have any upgrades or changes you are planning to do?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just got home from work. I did a total of 399 miles today. 41 of those miles were personal and 358 of those miles were work related.

Preparations for today's drive involved getting in the car and turning the key. I filled the tank up with gas 129 miles into today's drive.

I'll fill the car up with gas in the morning before tomorrow's drive. Should be driving around 200 miles tomorrow with no prep other than putting the key in the ignition.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Just got home from work. I did a total of 399 miles today. 41 of those miles were personal and 358 of those miles were work related.

Preparations for today's drive involved getting in the car and turning the key. I filled the tank up with gas 129 miles into today's drive.

I'll fill the car up with gas in the morning before tomorrow's drive. Should be driving around 200 miles tomorrow with no prep other than putting the key in the ignition.
    Your desperation for attention is adorable.

Maybe if we ignore him he'll go away?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    You know, I think Steve has a point. To some folks, these little cars look like they aren't designed to leave city limits.

What we need is a thread dedicated to this topic.

I'll start one if I get to a desktop computer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)