Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First long distance freeway trip this weekend

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

First long distance freeway trip this weekend

I'll be going on my first long distance freeway trip in the Mirage this weekend. I am going to the upper peninsula of Michigan to see my dad for his birthday. Typically we would take our 2004 Prius, but my wife is staying home to attend a church conference. So, it will be me and the Mirage and 200 miles of road to cover.

In preparation for the trip I hope to:
    - Get a new air filter installed
    - Get the oil and filter changed (first time since purchasing the car!)
    - Air up the tires nice and good, probably 50 psi
    - Throw on a quick make shift warm air intake (WAI)

I really wanted to get to installing an air dam on the car, but I don't think I'll have time for that since I leave on Friday night after work. I am really looking forward to seeing how the Mirage does on a longer trip as 99% of the time I've just running it around town or commuting to work. Other than this trip, my longest trip was bringing it home from Chicago.

If you guys have any other suggestions to get ready for the trip and maybe eek out a bit more mileage, I'm all ears.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Good luck with the trip! My Mirage has 103,000 miles on it, and I'd say about 130 miles of that are freeway. Only about TEN of those 130 freeway miles were put on me.

When I bought the car it had to be brought down to me by my dealership from another dealership 120 miles away!

The very definition of a 'city car'.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Good luck with the trip! My Mirage has 103,000 miles on it, and I'd say about 130 miles of that are freeway. Only about TEN of those 130 freeway miles were put on me.

When I bought the car it had to be brought down to me by my dealership from another dealership 120 miles away!

The very definition of a 'city car'.
    I drive too far to work...so I've driven on the freeway more than not. Switching to LED headlights seems to have helped a little with keeping the alternator calmer.

Beyond that, tire pressure definitely helps.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Make sure your spare is aired up too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Slow down and take your time. Speed might be the biggest influence on fuel consumption.

You'll see it on your trip. Start by keeping up with traffic to establish a MID-A MPG reading. Then slow down and watch your MPGs start to climb.

Guaranteed results.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    200 miles? First oil change? That's cute.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I used to have a long commute. I know some people really enjoy it. However, I find it to be an absolute waste of life. As much as I enjoy cars and driving, having a long daily commute sounds horrible to me. I used to have a 38 mile (one way) commute and I hated it. I spent 1.5 hours a day just sitting in my car. No thank you. I have much better and enjoyable things to do in life than be required to sit for hours a day in a car just to make ends meet.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-26-2018),Fummins (10-26-2018)

I can't stand a long commute either. I moved for 6 months and the commute home in rush hour was about an hour, but it only took 25mins to get to work. Never again, I don't know what I hated more, the other drivers or the people who designed the fairly new freeway.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Hey Daox are you gonna use your alternator switch?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nope, I will not be using it. The alternator switch stopped working a few weeks ago. I think I fried the dc-dc converter. Shortly after that, I ripped apart my dash to do the heater core. I haven't had a chance to get back to figuring out the alternator disable mod yet. The new design will be more robust and shouldn't have any problems with frying. I thought I posted about that... but maybe I didn't. Edit: aha, I did. Here.