Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First long distance freeway trip this weekend

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I commuted 96 miles one way every day for 7 years... It was my favorite part of my day

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

timw4mail (10-27-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If it's going to be a bit rainy I would certainly use caution going much above the 40psi that most of us run for economy.

the difference from 40 to 50 is like, a fraction the difference from 30 to 40. Plus your wet road traction will be pretty small as above about 42-43 psi the tires aren't sitting flat anymore and your footprint starts getting really small really quickly.

It's fun to try and grab that last decimal point to hit 3.9l/100 instead of 4, but since you'll be using like $15 round trip anyway... wait til sunny weather for the true hypertrip.
    Last edited by nickels; 10-26-2018 at 10:45 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-29-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    On the trip up the Mirage did a great job. I did take it pretty easy, 65 mph for about 3/4 of it, then 55 for the remaining quarter. The MFD on the Mirage read 48.3 by the time I pulled up. I was really impressed that it maintained that high of mileage at those speeds. I used cruise control for the vast majority of the trip.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    If it's going to be a bit rainy I would certainly use caution going much above the 40psi that most of us run for economy.

the difference from 40 to 50 is like, a fraction the difference from 30 to 40. Plus your wet road traction will be pretty small as above about 42-43 psi the tires aren't sitting flat anymore and your footprint starts getting really small really quickly.
    I have had no problems running 50 psi in my tires in wet weather. I would expect a greater chance at hydroplaning with a larger contact patch (think big fat tires). I may be wrong in this opinion, but I believe that's why racing slicks don't do well in rain, and racing teams switch to tires with a tread to avoid hydroplaning. The tires with tread reduce the overall contact patch and concentrate the weight of the vehicle in a smaller area.

Just my opinion.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am back home now. The trip home went quite smooth. I will say the Mirage impressed me. I think I was fighting a bit more wind, but it wasn't bad at all. The tank I burned through for the trip ended up being 47.7 mpg with the vast majority of that running with the cruise control at 65 mph. I think that is pretty great!

Despite being windy out, I didn't feel it at all in the Mirage. Perhaps due to the wider tires I run, or the sway bar. But, it was nice and solid.

The full lower grill block was pretty much perfect for adequate cooling at 65 mph. Ambient temperature was around mid 40s to 50s. If I even kept the heater fan on the lowest setting, it would be fine. However, without the fan on, the radiator fan would turn on about every 10-15 minutes. Not bad at all IMO. At any lower speed, the fan never came on. FYI, the radiator fan comes on at just over 220F according to my scangauge.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

2of9 (10-31-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post

It's fun to try and grab that last decimal point to hit 3.9l/100 instead of 4, but since you'll be using like $15 round trip anyway... wait til sunny weather for the true hypertrip.
    Actually, increasing tire pressure typically increases wet traction. The reason is because you have a smaller contact area. If you have less surface area, but the same weight, you increase the psi of the contact patch. That means the water has to push up much harder before you hydroplane.

Here is a tire rack article that kind of shows whats happening:
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...e.jsp?techid=3

So, more accurately, higher tire pressure reduces hydroplaning resistance. Not necessarily wet traction.

Here is an article explaining that lower pressure increases the tire patch and thus traction:

https://www.active.com/cycling/artic...re-in-the-rain

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I get paid for my commute.

Just did another routine 200 miles today. Tomorrow is probably going to be about 400 miles.

Glad your rare 200 mile drive went without incident. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post

Just did another routine 200 miles today. Tomorrow is probably going to be about 400 miles.
    I'm proud of you!

Attachment 12967
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (10-19-2021),Pryme (10-31-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm proud of you!

Attachment 12967
    I agree. He deserves the snarky cookie award.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post

Glad your rare 200 mile drive went without incident. Lol
    Just got home. Didn't do 400 miles today like I had originally estimated. Ended up only driving 355 miles.

Started the day with a full tank of gas, filled it back up at 240 miles and then drove home from my last client.

These little cars aren't much but they are dependable. You really don't have to do any prep work for a 200 mile trip. I literally hop in my car and do that every day with no preparation other than filling the tank with gas every morning.