Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TPMS Success

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    I recently switched to my winter tires/wheels setup.

I bought cheap wheels and added these TPMS sensors: https://www.ebay.com/itm/25389669920...m=253896699202

But the best part is that Discount Tire was able to associate the new sensors with the car. All it required was the blue Mitsubishi cable, and two of their TPMS devices.
    There has been a lot of speculation about what was done with your new wheels/sensors in this thread (myself included). Your new wheels & sensors obviously work. It would be really nice to know what was done to make them work?

Did Discount Tire reprogram your car's TPMS (which would make your original sensors not work now), or did they clone your new sensors to match your car's existing TPMS (which means both sets of wheels would work without having to do anything extra)?

If you could find out what was exactly done & share that, we would all appreciate it. Unless I have missed it somewhere, I haven't heard of anyone sucessfully cloning Mirage sensors yet. I've just heard it can be done in theory. If Discount Tire cloned your new sensors to your original sensors, I would call that success!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    There has been a lot of speculation about what was done with your new wheels/sensors in this thread (myself included). Your new wheels & sensors obviously work. It would be really nice to know what was done to make them work?

Did Discount Tire reprogram your car's TPMS (which would make your original sensors not work now), or did they clone your new sensors to match your car's existing TPMS (which means both sets of wheels would work without having to do anything extra)?

If you could find out what was exactly done & share that, we would all appreciate it. Unless I have missed it somewhere, I haven't heard of anyone sucessfully cloning Mirage sensors yet. I've just heard it can be done in theory. If Discount Tire cloned your new sensors to your original sensors, I would call that success!
    My understanding is that the car was reprogrammed with the new sensor ids. They plugged one tool in to the ODBII port, with the special blue Mitsubishi cable, and used the other tool to identify the sensors. Beyond that, I don't know the exact details of what they did.

I'm pretty sure they didn't clone anything, because the other tires and sensors were not present.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    I'm pretty sure they didn't clone anything, because the other tires and sensors were not present.
    The 4 sensor ID numbers are stored in the car's computer. Some TPMS tools can read these ID numbers directly from the computer (using a cable to connect the tool to the OBDII port). So they wouldn't need your original wheels/sensors to be present to clone them. They could just read the ID numbers from the car's computer.

That makes your experience even more interesting. If they have a TPMS tool that can actually read/write TPMS sensor IDs to the Mirage's computer, that is a big deal. This would be the first time anyone on this forum has been able to do that outside of a Mitsubishi dealer. Heck...I'm tempted to stop in to my local Discount Tire and ask them what TPMS tool they have.

We may not know for sure what happened until you put your original wheels back on the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    The 4 sensor ID numbers are stored in the car's computer. Some TPMS tools can read these ID numbers directly from the computer (using a cable to connect the tool to the OBDII port). So they wouldn't need your original wheels/sensors to be present to clone them. They could just read the ID numbers from the car's computer.

That makes your experience even more interesting. If they have a TPMS tool that can actually read/write TPMS sensor IDs to the Mirage's computer, that is a big deal. This would be the first time anyone on this forum has been able to do that outside of a Mitsubishi dealer. Heck...I'm tempted to stop in to my local Discount Tire and ask them what TPMS tool they have.

We may not know for sure what happened until you put your original wheels back on the car.
    It could be that finding the person that knows what to do is also rare. This was the second time I attempted to get the TPMS resorted. As I mentioned, they actually used two tools and the Mitsubishi cable.

I'm still fairly sure that they reprogrammed the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    All it required was the blue Mitsubishi cable, and two of their TPMS devices.
    I think this might be the ticket.

https://www.bartecusa.com/mitsubishi-relearn-kit

I have a Bartec Tech 400SD, purchased cheap off Ebay last year, and I just ordered the Mitsubishi Adapter Cable. I am sure the other "TPMS device" is a trigger tool, which is handy but not required. Stay tuned!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-01-2018),Top_Fuel (11-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Interesting! I wonder what in the heck is going on in that blue OBDII cable that makes it function? Is it changing the mapping of the OBDII pins for some reason to get around Mitsubishi's funky TPMS system?

In any case, this is the first time I've seen any TPMS tool that specifically mentions that it works with a 2014+ Mirage. So that's good news. Keep us posted!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Interesting! I wonder what in the heck is going on in that blue OBDII cable that makes it function? Is it changing the mapping of the OBDII pins for some reason to get around Mitsubishi's funky TPMS system?

In any case, this is the first time I've seen any TPMS tool that specifically mentions that it works with a 2014+ Mirage. So that's good news. Keep us posted!
    Will do! It is also worth noting that, according to timw4mail, IT DOES WORK. It's not just theoretical (like the ATEQ fiasco). Unless, of course, there is another TPMS machine that also uses a special blue Mitsubishi cable!

The video from Bartec says their machine must have software R51 or higher for the relearn procedure to work for Mitsubishis. Mine is supposed to have been updated to R54 already. I also noticed that in their graph they show TWO different kinds of relearn procedures: 'standard OBDII' and 'assisted'. I am sure that is why some machines...like the ATEQ...work on some Mitsubishi models and not others.

I thought the whole point of OBDII was to standardize the vehicle-to-diagnostic interface across model years and manufacturers. I would have to assume, like you, that the OBDII port is somehow not standard with Mitsubishi with reference to TPMS, and that is why an adapter must be used. There is no 'black box' or electronics module on the cable, so it must simply be switching wires from pinout to pinout.

I hadn't planned on switching to snow tires this year unless or until there was...well, SNOW. But once this cable arrives I will do it anyway and try the relearn procedure..."In the interest of science."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Its possible there is a small circuit board in the connector of this cable. Chips are pretty small these days.

In either case, I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of this!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Will do! It is also worth noting that, according to timw4mail, IT DOES WORK. It's not just theoretical (like the ATEQ fiasco). Unless, of course, there is another TPMS machine that also uses a special blue Mitsubishi cable!
    I think it's possible to use on any TPMS device that has ODBII output...whether it does anything is another matter

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I thought the whole point of OBDII was to standardize the vehicle-to-diagnostic interface across model years and manufacturers. I would have to assume, like you, that the OBDII port is somehow not standard with Mitsubishi with reference to TPMS, and that is why an adapter must be used. There is no 'black box' or electronics module on the cable, so it must simply be switching wires from pinout to pinout.
    Yeah, it seems to just "rewire" the ODBII cable from what I could tell.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Its possible there is a small circuit board in the connector of this cable.
    I also wondered about that as a possibility. We'll get Cobrajet to pull his apart and let us know.