Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TPMS Success

Country
    United States
    Thanks

TPMS Success

I recently switched to my winter tires/wheels setup.

I bought cheap wheels and added these TPMS sensors: https://www.ebay.com/itm/25389669920...m=253896699202

But the best part is that Discount Tire was able to associate the new sensors with the car. All it required was the blue Mitsubishi cable, and two of their TPMS devices.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timw4mail For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-25-2018),Top_Fuel (10-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Glad to hear it.

Did they let you know if your summer wheel setup would still work with the TPMS system?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by timw4mail View Post
    I bought cheap wheels and added these TPMS sensors: https://www.ebay.com/itm/25389669920...m=253896699202
    That's great news! I have an Autel TPMS tool...but I haven't tested its ability to program sensors yet.

Those are Autel brand programmable (clone-able) TPMS sensors. When you buy them, they are "blank" and don't have any TPMS ID's associated with them. You use an Autel brand TPMS tool to assign ("program") ID's into them. You have to use an Autel brand tool to program them (they aren't interchangeable with other brands of sensors or programming tools). I'm surprised Discount Tire is using that brand...but that's good for you!

...the best part is that Discount Tire was able to associate the new sensors with the car.
    All it required was the blue Mitsubishi cable, and two of their TPMS devices.
    I assume your existing 4 TPMS sensors were working when you took your car in? They should have used a TPMS tool to read your existing 4 sensor IDs directly from the sensors. Then they took those 4 IDs and programmed them into your 4 new sensors. When they installed those new sensors in your winter wheels, your car still sees the same 4 sensor ID's...so everything is fine. If this is the way they did it, they would not have had to use anything to connect to the car's ODDII port. I'm not sure why they needed any kind of cable.

I assume your existing TPMS sensors were in working order...because the one thing the Autel TPMS tool can't do is read the TPMS sensor IDs from the Mitsubishi ETACS module. At least the Autel tool I own can't. Actually...I have yet to see any aftermarket TPMS tool that can talk to the ETACS module in the Mirage to obtain the car's TPMS sensor ID numbers. But with modern TPMS tools and clone-able sensors, nobody should ever have to worry about that as long as they know the 4 ID numbers stored in the car's computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Did they let you know if your summer wheel setup would still work with the TPMS system?
    As long as they cloned his original sensor IDs, he should be good when he puts his original wheels back on the car. Guess we'll check back in 6 months for an update.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-25-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Uh...no cloning involved, with the special blue cable, I assume ETACS was updated with the new sensor ids. They must have had ids, or the ids were generated when their tool associated the sensors.

Still, this whole process is overly complex, even if the sensors were cloned.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ...no cloning involved
    Hmmm...well...that ebay link is for Autel MX-Sensors...which are Autel's programmable (clone-able) version of a TPMS sensor. I have one sitting here on my desk next to my Autel TS501 TPMS tool...

Name:  TPMS.jpg
Views: 4289
Size:  91.2 KB

Well...we'll know exactly what they did when you put your original wheels back on. If your TPMS light stays out, they cloned your original sensor IDs (which is the best way to go if you have 2 sets of wheels). If the TPMS light comes on, then those sensors came with new IDs and somehow they were able to program them into the ETACS module. If they were able to do that on a Mirage it is extremely unusual. For any other Mitsubishi it is not a big deal. There is something about the TPMS functionality of the Mirage ETACS module that makes it difficult/impossible for most aftermarket tools to be used on a Mirage.

I've been emailing back and forth with Autel's Chinese engineers because my Autel tool cannot read/write sensor IDs from the ETACS module. Eventually they had to admit that this can't be done on the Mirage with the tool I have. It works on other makes/models...but not a Mirage?!?

...this whole process is overly complex, even if the sensors were cloned.
    Most shops are cloning sensors now because it's the easiest way to put replacement sensors on a car. If you clone them, you never have to worry about messing with the car's TPMS module to re-learn new sensors. That means you don't have to have expensive scan tool software for all the various makes/models out there.

Either way we're going to learn something new from your experience. $100 for a set of 4 TPMS sensors is a great deal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,683 Times in 2,102 Posts
    Uh...no cloning involved, with the special blue cable, I assume ETACS was updated with the new sensor ids. They must have had ids, or the ids were generated when their tool associated the sensors.

Still, this whole process is overly complex, even if the sensors were cloned.
    Sounds like they took 4 new sensors and programmed your car to them. If that's the case, your original sensors will no longer work on your car without reprogramming your car again. Thus, every time you switch wheels you will have to reprogram your car. What a pain!

If you didn't have them clone your new sensors to your original sensors, you will have to buy the tool to reprogram your car or pay someone else to reset the codes on your car every time you change wheels. I see no gain in doing this. I would rather run tires without sensors in them and live with the dash light being on.

If you clone your 4 new wheel sensors to the original 4 wheel sensors, you do nothing! Cloned sensors = no reprogramming your car & no need for any TMPS tool. You just change the wheels and drive!

If they could have cloned your new sensors to the original sensors but didn't do that, I would be upset! I wouldn't be thrilled about that at all!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I'm not sure why they needed any kind of cable.
    I'm quoting myself. Is that even legal?

There is an explanation for why they would use a cable to talk to the ETACS module...and still clone your sensors.

An easy way to find out the 4 ID numbers of the car's TPMS sensors is to connect the TPMS tool to the OBDII port. There's a function in the tool that says "Read Sensor IDs From Car". The 4 IDs are then read from the car's computer and stored in the tool. The other way to find out the sensor IDs is to walk around to each of the 4 wheels and manually scan them with the TPMS tool.

Once you have the IDs stored in the tool, there's another function that says "Clone Sensor IDs". You insert the new (programmable) sensors into the end of the tool and it writes the stored ID numbers into the sensors. You install the sensors in the wheels and you're done.

Did your autel tool come with an obd cable? Mine's a ts401 and doesn't have one. I've only used it on a couple gms. Never tried cloning sensors.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Did your autel tool come with an obd cable?
    Yeah...it has an OBDII cable. I used it to clear the TPMS codes in my mom's Honda Odyssey. It would also read the sensor IDs directly from the Honda's computer. But when I try to read ID's from my Mirage, it comes up with a message that says "This function is not supported."

I bought a blank sensor to test out the cloning functionality...I just haven't done it yet. I don't have a spare wheel/tire, so I'm just going to clone one of my current sensors and have a tire shop swap in the clone to see if it works.

Other than the fact it won't work with a Mirage, I do like the tool.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Are TPMS factory equipment in some parts of the world? Am I remembering correctly that it's mandated in the states?

*Has a Canadian 2018 Mirage without TPMS*

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)