Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Change of Pace: The 10 Slowest Cars of 2018

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    With a 5 speed manual my Mirage ES base (so then also lightest mirage model available) can do 0-60 in 8-9 seconds... the car feels a bit lethargic but with the right timing and revs, I'm quite confident my Mirage boogies to 60 mph in under the 10 second mark.
    Standing stop to 60 miles per hour in 8 seconds in a Mirage is impressive. I would like to see it, and there are several easy ways to record and share it:

1. Set up a camera to record a video of your speedometer while accelerating and post the video to YouTube for all to see.
    2. Use an OBD II device to record vehicle speed and time.

Again, 0-60 mph at 8 seconds is pretty impressive. You'll have to show us how you do it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-28-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    It's no surprise to me that this author is a bit more 'philosophical' about horsepower. The author isn't American.

"America...Home of the 840 Horsepower Dodge Demon". And, as was mentioned, a family sedan with more horsepower and torque than nearly ANY car made 35 years ago. It's no wonder we are jaded. Soooo many soccer moms who think they need to spend $40,000 on 300 horsepower when they never use more than 1/5th of the gas pedal with their babies on board anyway.

As for me, my Mirage has only seen 60 mph three or four times total over the 105,000 miles I have driven it. So I don't give a rat's a$$ about 0-60 times! It's not how fast it will go...it's how few times I have to stop. At the gas station.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-28-2018),Eggman (10-28-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Again, 0-60 mph at 8 seconds is pretty impressive. You'll have to show us how you do it.
    Ha yea I was ball parking, nothing scientific about my methodology at all.. but thanks Eggman for the how-to.. perhaps I'm not that far off, after all!

As with Cobrajet, I picked the Mirage primarily for the fuel economy. Long warranty is nice too when a new car no matter Mirage or Hellcat, is so costly
    Last edited by dspace9; 10-28-2018 at 12:34 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I don't find the 5 speed gear shift in my Mirage particularly fast at all, and the car actually can slow down shifting (like any stick shift). Day 1 vibrate-y 4th gear at certain speeds; also reverse gear is near impossible to get into gear on occasion, Day 1
    I bought mine with 30k miles on it, but it's always been picky about going into reverse, as well.

A nicely weighted shift knob did wonders for the shifting speed. With the stock knob, if you shifted as fast as you wanted to, you felt like you were really forcing it. Having some mass behind the shift, it slips right in, and easily does so before the revs fall. It was one of my favorite and simplest mods that I've done to this car.
    Simplify and add lightness.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-28-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    it's always been picky about going into reverse, as well.
    A nicely weighted shift knob did wonders for the shifting speed
    Thanks that is interesting and seeming to me relatively easy fix to increase the gear shift speed in the car. My Mirage is just my thrifty commuter car at this point, maybe in the future I might do some mods to it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A weighted shift knob is just something that makes the car more pleasant to drive. There's a thread here somewhere about shift knobs. And there are cheap options available on Amazon.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I will have a look-see for sure. The Mishimoto brand ones I just saw on Amazon have a lifetime warranty and look to be high quality. They claim to make driving anything manual transmission faster and all around better, I haven't had any experience with this upgrade but it's an interesting one for sure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-09-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've never thought to test the 0-60 on the Mirage.

I used to test that when I was a new teen driver back in the day haha

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-09-2018)