Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Information about the Mirage CVT (Jatco CVT7 JF015E) operation, video, diagrams

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Yes, it's the JF015E (according to both Jatco & the link you posted).

I'm pretty sure they get the oil to where it needs to be

Added more info to the first post -- a quote from SAE regarding the auxiliary gearbox.
    Any idea if it is safe to engine off coast with the CTV? The owner's manual says to not tow with the front wheels on the ground - "fluid may not reach all parts of the transmission, thus damaging it." Would it be OK as long as the key is in the ON position - will the CTV oil pump operate even with the engine not running?

Based on the warning in the owner's manual, I would not coast the Mirage CVT with the engine off. The oil pump is more than likely engine driven.

This is why only the 5-speed is recommended for dinghy/flat-towing. Recreational/Flat/Dinghy Towing a Mirage

(PS: Welcome to the forum, sewellja!)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    ice off coast would only happen like maybe not even 1 minute? dont think that would be a problem

and downhil you brake on the ice so no need to coasting

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't know if it has been covered but to my understanding, this transmission also features idle-neutral logic control. When sitting for periods of time at traffic signals, the transmission will put itself into a neutral state (by engaging the clutch) to reduce engine load at idle. when the driver releases the brake, the transmission quickly engages the drive gear by releasing the clutch.

"Another improvement came by adding Idle Neutral Logic. Based on the system designed for the all-new 2014 Outlander, the Idle Neutral Logic on the Mirage reduces friction loss of the CVT by more precisely controlling the clutch when the vehicle is at standstill while in "D" (drive). "

http://media.mitsubishicars.com/rele...c-a5d0cb59e4de

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Based on the warning in the owner's manual, I would not coast the Mirage CVT with the engine off. The oil pump is more than likely engine driven.
    I was hoping the transmission oil pump was electric, since there is a fuse labeled CVT oil pump in the owners manual, but there is no fuse installed in that slot in my car.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sewellja For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-06-2013)

sewellja - that's really interesting! (The fuse slot.)

I'm not 100% certain there's no electric pump in your CVT, but ...

I did a bit of searching, and it seems that function (electric oil pump) is reserved for potential hybrid applications of the CVT, where the combustion engine stops when you release the accelerator, even while the car is in motion (coasting). In that case you would need to keep the pump turning while the car continues to move.

I also saw some reference to an electric pump for cars with the engine stop/start feature, in order to keep oil pressure up for the next restart. That may be why there's a fuse slot for the Mirage, since stop/start is available on the Japan/Europe Mirage/Space Star.

From an efficiency standpoint, it probably doesn't make sense to run the pump electrically in a non-hybrid, or non-stop/start car. That's why I'd bet it's not electric in your car.

Will be interesting to find out at some point, though. We do have a few stop/start owners on the forum (Netherlands). Could find out if they've got a fuse in that slot...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-06-2013)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd like to know how many miles people are getting with these CVTs before they need to be replaced. I'm hoping they get at least 200K miles.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Everything I hear about the lancers and outlanders cvts are good. Just gotta take proper care of it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I'd like to know how many miles people are getting with these CVTs before they need to be replaced. I'm hoping they get at least 200K miles.
    You can check other forums like Mitsubishi Lancer, Nissan Altima or Sentra, or another cars. In now days many cars are using CVT.

My Lancer's mileage is almost 60K. The other member (Mitsuman) has already on his Lancer 115K miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikhail View Post
    You can check other forums like Mitsubishi Lancer, Nissan Altima or Sentra, or another cars. In now days many cars are using CVT.

My Lancer's mileage is almost 60K. The other member (Mitsuman) has already on his Lancer 115K miles.
    To me that's just getting broken in! My nissan pickup has 243k on it. I just replaced the engine. The auto transmission is still going strong.

From what I understand CVTs use a much simpler design compared to normal auto transmissions but can't handle a lot of torque. So I'm hoping the simple design along with the light load will make the Mirage last a long time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)