Thread: Consumer Reports reliability rankings -- doesn't include Mitsubishi

Consumer Reports reliability rankings -- doesn't include Mitsubishi

Name:  cr_logo_social_sharing.png
Views: 845
Size:  57.5 KB

CR just released its latest reliability ranking for cars in the U.S. market.

Too bad Mitsubishi isn't in it:

To be included here, a brand must have sufficient data for at least two vehicles. CR lacks data to rank Alfa Romeo, Fiat, Jaguar, Land Rover, Maserati, Mitsubishi, or Smart.
    That's odd, because we already know CR has released some reliability info for the Mirage, and they say it's a reliable, but terrible car.

CR article: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...reliable-cars/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Adam - UK (10-29-2018),craigq (10-30-2018),Top_Fuel (10-29-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Oh brother.

They should include reliability rankings for their own body of work (and biases.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

daleWV (05-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In other news, several terrific but unreliable cars are recommended, unless you actually want to drive them.

And now for something completely different...
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am shocked that CR is recommending some really bad cars. Any company or person that would recommend a Fiat 500 over a Mirage is not to be trusted. The product that Fiat is churning out right now is horrible.
    Instead of pointing out the massive issues Fiat is having with transmissions, they bash the Mirage's Road noise as if that is a real issue.
    Hey CR. I want a reliable car, I'm OK with you pointing out if it's loud and dinging it if it's uncomfortable, but what consumers really care about is reliability. Is the car good on gas, and is it going to leave me stranded. That's the bottom line. Failing to rank the Mirage above the Fiat shows an internal bias and it hasn't gone unnoticed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrfixit View Post
    Hey CR. I want a reliable car, I'm OK with you pointing out if it's loud and dinging it if it's uncomfortable, but what consumers really care about is reliability. Is the car good on gas, and is it going to leave me stranded. That's the bottom line.
    Nobody wants to be stranded, but don't forget safety. Just watch some crash test videos to see what I'm talking about.

Watch the video before seeking out a 'reliable' car from the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrfixit View Post
    Failing to rank the Mirage above the Fiat shows an internal bias and it hasn't gone unnoticed.
    I know Consumers Reports tries to present themselves as unbiased but their work really seems to say otherwise.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-15-2019 at 12:03 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I just skimmed through that video. I won't be buying an old sentra anytime soon. But I will be watching more crash test video's when I have more time.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You have to consider CR's target audience. The average CR print subscriber is 65 years old, and is moderately wealthy. Are wealthy 65-year-olds interested buying a $12,000 subcompact economy car? Apparently not, since not enough of them are doing so to get enough responses in CR's reliability surveys.

CR doesn't accept any funding from the companies whose products they review. They don't even allow the companies to tout good CR ratings in their advertisements, which is a very lucrative income source for other companies (like J.D. Power). I trust them in that regard.

But, they know who their readers are. Those readers like Subarus and Lexuses and big luxury SUVs with lots of active safety features to keep the grandkids safe. They don't rate the Mirage (or any subcompact, really) well because their readers wouldn't be happy in a Mirage.