I'm thinking about getting some new on the road dyno hardware / software. I imagine that there has to be some smart phone app out there that does this now-a-days. In the past, I've used a G-tech pro competition. It uses accelerometers to calculate acceleration rates and power output. Pretty neato device. The same thing can be done with smart phones, but at least G-tech says their accelerometers aren't nearly as good since that isn't what they're designed for.

My concern, and I haven't tried it yet, is that my device is so old that I won't be able to run the software anymore. I'll have to give it a go because it did work pretty nice. We are talking pretty old though. I'm quite sure it was before USB was a thing, so it transfers its info to the computer via a serial cable. This is an example of the output you'd get from it though. Pretty nice. You can overlay multiple runs over each other to compare things too. So you can see how a modification effects the torque and power.

Anyway, as I said I'm wondering what else is out there.

So, the first thing I did was check out what G-tech has these days. It looks pretty nice. Unfortunately, only their high end model can import data to a computer. That, plus they're pretty dang pricey with the cheap one starting at $300.

I am of course wondering if anyone else knows of anything else out there that does this type of thing?